Wry Neck - Confused about treatment

Pics
I did: Poly -vi- sol ( No Iron , Vitamin E cap , and scrambled eggs for sellenium. I aslo added a tiny bit of Nu Salt to my egg for hydration. He did not like the eggs at first but a little force he started LOVING them. Then i made a mix of eggs and his food down the road after he was back on his feet. I gave mine the drops straight and Vit E in the eggs.

He was a lucky one !! Still ruling the coop !!!

This is what I posted in another thred labeled "Baby Chick severe illness less than a week old":

I purchased 6 baby chicks from Tractor Supply 3 days ago. At first, all seemed well. Chicks were lively, eating and drinking normally and running around the brooder. No one was huddling in front of the heat lamp nor huddling away. 2 days after purchase, I noticed one chick acting lethargic, hanging by the edge of the brooder, somewhat close to the lamp, not running around when I opened the brooder like the rest of the chicks. I immediately moved it to a sick brooder which is slightly warmer and got the "Save a Chick" probiotic. Within an hour of seperating this chick, it became unable to stand without falling to one side, arching its head back almost to its tail and falling over. It chirps loudly and keeps its eyes closed most of the time but will open one eye when handled. I have been keeping it warmer, feeding it the save a chick solution through a dropper, and keeping her calm allowing her to rest. Its been 24 hours since I noticed the first symptoms. None of the other babies have shown any decline (no loud chirping, they eat, drink, poop and run around). The sick chick has not pooped since being in the sick brooder but hasnt eaten either. No pasty butt. When offered water she barely opens her beak to accept and can be heard making a rattling sound when trying to drink and sometimes when sleeping. We've been practicing good biosecurity (take care of grown hens outside first, then wash, then care for healthy chicks, wash and care for sick) so I am hoping we can limit the spread. Is there anything else I should be doing for this sick baby? Any idea if this is an illness or simply failure to thrive?

She is a breed of red (the TS store had multiple breeds in one tub including sexlinks) and very young. Of course, they don't know exactly how old, but didn't even start getting them until a week ago. I am guessing just a few days old to a week old.

Thanks!

WOW!! You were really on top of your game..

Right now the chicken can't really eat or drink on her own. She seems to have little control over her body. Sometimes, she will lie on her side and push with her feet and scoot around the sick brooder. Since that post, she has given a poop, which is a good sign. The treatment seems to be making some headway, as she spent a small amount of time today staning upright and her neck not as "loopy" but still is struggling immensly. When I try to giver her water, she wasn't opening her beak at all at first but now has started to open her beak VERY slightly and getting some water in. It looks like her tounge is sideways too and she makes a slight gurgling noise when she is trying to drink.

Better? Maybe? But still very very ill.

You've got all your bases covered, does sound like a deficiency, I would keep up with the vitamins, doesn't sound like wry neck..

This is what I posted in another thred labeled "Baby Chick severe illness less than a week old":

I purchased 6 baby chicks from Tractor Supply 3 days ago. At first, all seemed well. Chicks were lively, eating and drinking normally and running around the brooder. No one was huddling in front of the heat lamp nor huddling away. 2 days after purchase, I noticed one chick acting lethargic, hanging by the edge of the brooder, somewhat close to the lamp, not running around when I opened the brooder like the rest of the chicks. I immediately moved it to a sick brooder which is slightly warmer and got the "Save a Chick" probiotic. Within an hour of seperating this chick, it became unable to stand without falling to one side, arching its head back almost to its tail and falling over. It chirps loudly and keeps its eyes closed most of the time but will open one eye when handled. I have been keeping it warmer, feeding it the save a chick solution through a dropper, and keeping her calm allowing her to rest. Its been 24 hours since I noticed the first symptoms. None of the other babies have shown any decline (no loud chirping, they eat, drink, poop and run around). The sick chick has not pooped since being in the sick brooder but hasnt eaten either. No pasty butt. When offered water she barely opens her beak to accept and can be heard making a rattling sound when trying to drink and sometimes when sleeping. We've been practicing good biosecurity (take care of grown hens outside first, then wash, then care for healthy chicks, wash and care for sick) so I am hoping we can limit the spread. Is there anything else I should be doing for this sick baby? Any idea if this is an illness or simply failure to thrive?

She is a breed of red (the TS store had multiple breeds in one tub including sexlinks) and very young. Of course, they don't know exactly how old, but didn't even start getting them until a week ago. I am guessing just a few days old to a week old.

Thanks!

The gurgling sounds like it could be upper respiratory , probably bought on by the stress of separation or illness itself. Be very careful when feeding or watering not to aspirate, believe me it is very easy to aspirate a chick. One drop at a time and wait for it to swallow. Wry neck is a deficiency !

Quote: I have no idea if she got pecked or not. She's just a chick right now, still under the heat lamp.

I'm really hoping my desire for her to recover isn't affecting the way I judge her symptoms, but it looks to me like she's improving! Yesterday was by far the worst I've seen her; rolling forward when her head went between her legs, walking in circles, etc. Now only her chin is tucked right against her crop. She had a full crop this morning, so I guess that means she can eat by herself! I've been giving her vitamin water three times a day, and putting her in the sunshine every afternoon.

Great news!! My baby chick is doing so much better. She is now standing on her own, walking and drinking. She still walks in circles when she walks and keeps her head bent slightly. Sometimes she loses her balance and catches herself with her wing. Her rattling sound when she breathes has ceased completely and she is pooping like crazy. Her poops are pretty liquid but she did go almost 24 hours on a liquid diet so that is to be expected. She is making great strides. If she keeps going like this, I am hoping for a full improvement in 2-3 days and maybe a reintroduction to her sisters. She is significantly smaller than they are now (its amazing how quickly they grow in just a few days).

I am keeping her on the vitamin water and save a chick combos and have started reintroducing solid chick starter feed soggy with vitamin water. To those who are struggling with this now, keep your chin up. If you are vigilant in the treatment they can pull through. I swear this poor babe looked like she was a gonner 24 hours ago. Completely unable to walk or stand. Now, she is making good strides. To those that have lost their poor little chicks, I am truly sorry.

Based on the symptoms, I feel pretty confident saying wry neck (ducking head back, walking in circles, head cocked to one side "stargazing", unable to eat/drink, and no other chicks showing any symptoms. She was the smallest of the six, so I am thinking one of two things happened: either she was being prevented from eating/drinking by her bigger flock mates or she came to me Saturday with a problem already developing.

Good luck to anyone trying to heal their baby from this terrible thing.

Last edited:
Great news!! My baby chick is doing so much better. She is now standing on her own, walking and drinking. She still walks in circles when she walks and keeps her head bent slightly. Sometimes she loses her balance and catches herself with her wing. Her rattling sound when she breathes has ceased completely and she is pooping like crazy. Her poops are pretty liquid but she did go almost 24 hours on a liquid diet so that is to be expected. She is making great strides. If she keeps going like this, I am hoping for a full improvement in 2-3 days and maybe a reintroduction to her sisters. She is significantly smaller than they are now (its amazing how quickly they grow in just a few days).

I am keeping her on the vitamin water and save a chick combos and have started reintroducing solid chick starter feed soggy with vitamin water. To those who are struggling with this now, keep your chin up. If you are vigilant in the treatment they can pull through. I swear this poor babe looked like she was a gonner 24 hours ago. Completely unable to walk or stand. Now, she is making good strides. To those that have lost their poor little chicks, I am truly sorry.

Based on the symptoms, I feel pretty confident saying wry neck (ducking head back, walking in circles, head cocked to one side "stargazing", unable to eat/drink, and no other chicks showing any symptoms. She was the smallest of the six, so I am thinking one of two things happened: either she was being prevented from eating/drinking by her bigger flock mates or she came to me Saturday with a problem already developing.

Great news! :thumbsup

Good deal!!!

I have been catching up on this thread. I have a 4 year old silkie rooster with symptoms of wry neck (crookneck). Treating with the vita E and B as well as prednisone and selenium. I still need to find the Poly Vi Sol. Just have a question if anyone knows or not, the symptoms that come with this is a lot like vestibular syndrome in dogs that is treated with Meclizine. First can you give chickens Meclizine and if so does anyone know if it helps with the wry neck?
:confused:

I have been catching up on this thread. I have a 4 year old silkie rooster with symptoms of wry neck (crookneck). Treating with the vita E and B as well as prednisone and selenium. I still need to find the Poly Vi Sol. Just have a question if anyone knows or not, the symptoms that come with this is a lot like vestibular syndrome in dogs that is treated with Meclizine. First can you give chickens Meclizine and if so does anyone know if it helps with the wry neck?
:confused:

No idea I am guessing that is going to be a vet question. I have never heard of that drug in the chicken world however. Is the dog disease brain related?

Back
Top Bottom