Wry neck Duck

I used basil, oregano, thyme, and sage. Seems to be working the best.

Hi, I'm so glad your duckling is improving. I also have 2 lings doing the same thing. They are a week old now. One of them showed symptoms from the first day. The second did not start until day 5 and just overnight was much worse.

Did you use fresh or dried herbs and how much? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Linda

I was quite discouraged at first, and he isn't 100% better, but he seems much happier. He can swim with the others, he "talks" like they do, They are going to be introduced to outside tomorrow, if it stays warm enough. I am so glad that I have gotten the chance to bond with this little guy! He sees me when I go check on him and he runs to greet me. When I am working and can't go see him, my hubby goes out. I tell him to snuggle with him like I do and he tells me that he doesn't like to snuggle with him as much as me, so I may need to let him take one of my shirts to wrap him in.

I was quite discouraged at first, and he isn't 100% better, but he seems much happier. He can swim with the others, he "talks" like they do, They are going to be introduced to outside tomorrow, if it stays warm enough. I am so glad that I have gotten the chance to bond with this little guy! He sees me when I go check on him and he runs to greet me. When I am working and can't go see him, my hubby goes out. I tell him to snuggle with him like I do and he tells me that he doesn't like to snuggle with him as much as me, so I may need to let him take one of my shirts to wrap him in.

Good idea. The smell may help him relax more. You are lucky you have a dh how will help out.
How long before you saw improvement after you started the herbs? My second ling just started symptoms yesterday morning and is much worse this morning. It's very hard for him to hold his head still. It rotates like he is watching something circling above him.

Linda

I actually saw results pretty quickly once I started the herbs, but had been adding Vitamin E and Selenium to the water for about a week before that, so overall I would say that it was probably almost 2 weeks. I did lots of cuddles and neck rubbing too. I am not sure how much time you have on your hands, but I sat with mine for at least an hour everyday. Make sure to have lots of food and water handy if you do the cuddle times. For some reason, even though when I am watching everything is ok, it seems like he is not getting as much to eat as the others. I think because they can't hold the head straight the food kinda falls out the side as they try to eat. I made a "mash" a few days ago out of the herbs, their food, and just some water and it seemed to work a little better. Just don't make it tooo watery or they think its fun to play in and really make a mess. lol Going to get some bananas and try those next. Maybe make an herbed banana mash... Gourmet duck foods....
lau.gif

I actually saw results pretty quickly once I started the herbs, but had been adding Vitamin E and Selenium to the water for about a week before that, so overall I would say that it was probably almost 2 weeks. I did lots of cuddles and neck rubbing too. I am not sure how much time you have on your hands, but I sat with mine for at least an hour everyday. Make sure to have lots of food and water handy if you do the cuddle times. For some reason, even though when I am watching everything is ok, it seems like he is not getting as much to eat as the others. I think because they can't hold the head straight the food kinda falls out the side as they try to eat. I made a "mash" a few days ago out of the herbs, their food, and just some water and it seemed to work a little better. Just don't make it tooo watery or they think its fun to play in and really make a mess. lol Going to get some bananas and try those next. Maybe make an herbed banana mash...  Gourmet duck foods....  :lau

Thank you so I shall try it all. I'm retired so have plenty of time to spend with them.

Linda

Ok, so they did not like the mashed banana. With or without the herbs. Maybe I just have strange ducks. lol My little WryGuy is doing so much better! The only reason you can tell him apart from the others now is a small size difference that gets smaller and smaller everyday, it seems.

Ok, so they did not like the mashed banana. With or without the herbs. Maybe I just have strange ducks. lol My little WryGuy is doing so much better! The only reason you can tell him apart from the others now is a small size difference that gets smaller and smaller everyday, it seems.

Precious lil ones and such great news too!!

@Simply Quackers. My 2 are showing improvement. They are getting around much better, even running around their tote. Thank you so much for the herbal mixture.

Their heads have come down a lot. And the one with the twisted neck has straightened out.

Linda

Update on the ducks!! They are doing wonderfully! The only way to tell my little guy from all the others is that he is still just a tad bit smaller and seems to be about a week behind in feathering. I found a really good vitamin and electrolyte powder to put right in the water at my local Tractor Supply. It's from DurVet. I ended up getting 4 more ducks and 10 more chickens, so we have a total of 60 feathered friends now. I started putting this in the water and everyone started perking up. Now to build a bigger coop. lol

Back
Top Bottom