Wry neck not improving

None of us can advise you on what's best for her moving forward. Sometimes the best thing to do is the hardest. My little guy couldn't eat on his own either and because he was a Banty chick the best I could do was provide him a very runny slurry of chick food dissolved in a lot of water. If you are going to try for a couple more days I do suggest switching to either a B complex vitamin (containing more than just B1 as she needs thiamine and riboflavin which I believe are B2 and B6) or giving poultry cell or save a chick. If you have sunflower seeds (no shells) try crushing those onto eggs as they are high in selenium.
All we can do is try sometimes and it certainly sounds like you have done your best. Best wishes whatever you decide.

Thanks. I am giving her sav a chick electrolytes. It has some vitamins, a e and something else. I will try crushed sunflower in the eggs though, i couldn't find selenium. And the prednisone? Is that vet rx only? Unfortunately the cost for that is not an option.

I really do thank everyone, i'll keep everyone updated.

Enjoying some bonding after her meal.

I brought her in the house,figuring either she spends her last days in comfort, or see if the cold is affecting her getting well. It wasn't much, but I noticed her peckimg a couple times at the food. She hasn't eaten on her own in about a wk. she's also standimg as opposed to the hunched/squatting on the log in her cage like she's been doing. Can it be considered improvement if this is where she was a week ago? I also see her grooming herself.this is new.

I would definitely view this as improvement!
If she pecked at her food maybe try her with something interesting to her...Yogurt, fresh soft fruit or vegetable like a cucumber cut length ways, cheese shreds...Any known favorite. Encourage her to peck more. Doesn't mean you won't need to assist with feeding but the more you can get her to eat (and make normal movements) the better. My guy LOVES corn niblets.

Still no new improvement. She still stands and grooms, but I feel that she is probably only doing these now that she's in the warm house. She still will not eat on her own, no matter what is offered. Ugh! Just when i think it's improvement, she's just not getting better.

I had to make one of the hardest decisions, but today Yin suffers no more. She has been struggling with this for 3 weeks now and even though she seemed like she had good days, overall there was no improvement. I let her visit her flockmates, and she was unresponsive. Her "sister", Yang that she grew up with just stared at her and made some noises, I don't know if they know or not, but if I believed in anything, it's that she said goodbye. I buried her deep in their pen, after getting through about 6inches of ice, but she lays to rest with her flockmates. I've only lost one chicken since getting into chickens to a hawk. A couple months ago. It was hard then. I've culled dozens of birds, but never had to from my main flock. RIP Yin, I miss you already
1f625.png

Im sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

I lost one too a while back and i cared for him for seven months with no improvement and had to euthanize.You did all you could and you should be proud of what you did most people do not take the time effort to do this.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom