Wry neck...Treat or euthanize?? UPDATED with GREAT results!!

Pics
Sorry my mistake.
I had the 350 mg capsule, dissolved it in 3 ml water and gave her 0.25 ml ones, that is 30 mg, and then 0.5 ml = 60 mg.
That is 0.9 g for the whole day. I'm not going to give her any more.
I'll check the table, but I'm not going to give her any more, as it doesn't really seem to help.

Can the wry neck be a symptom of any other disease?

I brought her in the garage last night, next to my 5 days old chicks, so I am getting worried what if a virus was the cause..
Beginners stupidity...
They had all Marek's vaccine though, but I just saw the Newcastle disease can have similar symptms???

Arrrgggghhh....

Sorry my mistake.
I had the 350 mg capsule, dissolved it in 3 ml water and gave her 0.25 ml ones, that is 30 mg, and then 0.5 ml = 60 mg.
That is 0.9 g for the whole day. I'm not going to give her any more.
I'll check the table, but I'm not going to give her any more, as it doesn't really seem to help.

Can the wry neck be a symptom of any other disease?

I brought her in the garage last night, next to my 5 days old chicks, so I am getting worried what if a virus was the cause..
Beginners stupidity...
They had all Marek's vaccine though, but I just saw the Newcastle disease can have similar symptms???

Arrrgggghhh....

Are your chicks on medicated feed?

Than today I probably overdosed her a bit, She is probably 2 pounds or so, so I should've given only 50mg instead of 60mg.
It is 2/3 of a baby Aspirin I gave it her, and only ones today.

What are the signs of an overdose?

They got the organic Scratch & Pack chick starter mixed with King's Freedom chick starter, not the "medicated" ones, with antibiotics and so on, but they are supposed to have all what's needed except the antibiotics.

And the little hen didn't have diarrhea, coughing, or any other Newcastle signs, so I hope it wasn't that..

Last edited:
They got the organic Scratch & Pack chick starter mixed with King's Freedom chick starter, not the "medicated" ones, with antibiotics and so on, but they are supposed to have all what's needed except the antibiotics.

Buffered baby aspirin is gentler on their system and the biggest danger is more a long term thing , as in organ damage. I wouldn't be too concerned with that.
It's important that chick starter doesn't contain amprolium. Wryneck is more often than not a result of thiamine deficiency and amprolium is a thiamine inhibitor. Some nutridrench undiluted , just a drop in the beak for a couple of days and some in the drinking water is a good place to start. Brewers yeast sprinkled directly on the feed will address the niacin deficiency.

Thank you!
I'll check what exactly is in their feed, now that I know what I am looking for, and will start adding Nutridrench for the others! Thanks for the advices!
I'll definitely buy some brewers yeast as well, there is always some for sale here in San Diego, in the land of microbreweries...

As my hen deteriorated soooo fast, started early morning and second day she can't swallow, I am more concerned now that the wry neck was a symptom of a viral disease, and they are vaccinated only against Marek, so far, especially the 5 days old ones.
She got all the vitamins, E, B-comples, and Selenium for yesterday and today, but didn't help so far..
She is still breathing, but not moving much, only the neck straightened, now more falling backwards, but doesn't look good.. She didn't open her eyes even :(.
I'll see in the morning if she makes it.. Soo disappointed.. :(

Last edited:
Thank you!
I'll check what exactly is in their feed, now that I know what I am looking for, and will start adding Nutridrench for the others! Thanks for the advices!
I'll definitely buy some brewers yeast as well, there is always some for sale here in San Diego, in the land of microbreweries...

As my hen deteriorated soooo fast, started early morning and second day she can't swallow, I am more concerned now that the wry neck was a symptom of a viral disease, and they are vaccinated only against Marek, so far, especially the 5 days old ones.
She got all the vitamins, E, B-comples, and Selenium for yesterday and today, but didn't help so far..
She is still breathing, but not moving much, only the neck straightened, now more falling backwards, but doesn't look good.. She didn't open her eyes even :(.
I'll see in the morning if she makes it.. Soo disappointed.. :(

If you are already giving her a multi vitamin don't double up. Excessive thiamine can be fatal. The Brewers yeast is just an alternate way of getting the niacin levels up but only give one or the other. So a good multi vitamin that contains thiamine and niacin and vit E . Thiamine deficiency often leads to anorexia, so tube feeding may become necessary . Failing that ,Poly aid plus is what I feed birds that are off their food, it tends to restore their appetite.

Well, she just died.
I kinda expected it based on how she looked before I left her in the evening.
hide.gif
. I guess I'll never have a favorite hen again, it is just so unfair to loose exactly those. My only GCM? And she was SOOO beatiful! The nicest GCM color I can imagine!

Due to her very fast deterioration I started to look at all possibilities, Marek's was last.. Looking at the pictures of chicks which have/had Marek's , I am rather convinced she died of Marek's.
She had a last light green stool, too, not bloody stool like they should have in Newcastle.

But how can a vaccinated chick die of Marek's in just 2 days??
he.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom