Wry tail…

LadyLavender

In the Brooder
Sep 5, 2023
Update on my Orpington, Lady Lavender… she is still with us! I removed her from the coop with the two other hens, one of them was constantly attacking her. Some people suggested Mereck’s disease, but I feel like it is wry tail. Her tail feathers down and a large “bump/ hump” is on back on the right side. She has a great appetite and she is slowly moving around more. She tries to hide/keep away from the other girls when they are all out foraging in the back yard. Any suggestions on caring for a chicken with wry tai? Should I continue to keep her separate? She seems so scared of the one chicken that has attacked her in the past ( I keep an eye out for her when they are all out ).
Many Thanks!

Pictures would be helpful. Wry tail is usually genetic, but can be caused by injury also. Most birds with it can live normal lives, but it's recommended that you not breed them as they can pass the issue to their offspring if it's genetic. If she's being attacked then you may need to keep her separately, find another bird her age or younger that she can have as a buddy, or get rid of the one bullying her, if it's just the one. Weak or sick birds will commonly be attacked by flock mates, it's instinctive to drive away a weak member who might attract a predator.

Pictures would be helpful. Wry tail is usually genetic, but can be caused by injury also. Most birds with it can live normal lives, but it's recommended that you not breed them as they can pass the issue to their offspring if it's genetic. If she's being attacked then you may need to keep her separately, find another bird her age or younger that she can have as a buddy, or get rid of the one bullying her, if it's just the one. Weak or sick birds will commonly be attacked by flock mates, it's instinctive to drive away a weak member who might attract a predator.

Attachments

• IMG_0056.png
    IMG_0056.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom