Wyandotte or Ameraucana hen?

BatesPiggery

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 21, 2014
Hawthorne, FL
Alright, so a few weeks back I bought this beautiful hen. I am so very new to this, so when the breeder told me my hen was a Silver Laced Wyandotte, I didnt think to question her. I went on with my buisness, until my neighbor came over to see my new hen and said he thought it was an Ameraucana. But when I looked up photos of that breed my hen didnt really "match". I waited until today, when she laid her first egg, to see if that would help. It didnt, really. so if you could help me out, I would be grateful. I have included a photo of her egg as well.

Might be a Wyandotte/ EE mix. The egg looks wyandotte, the body looks half Wyandotte too, but the color looks wild type and EEish (if that's a thing haha). What kind of comb does she have?

Still new to this, but my guess would be an EE, maybe? They are known for laying any combo of colored eggs and depending on what she is mixed with, may not have beard or muffs. Just my 2 cents. She is absolutely gorgeous!!

She looks like an EE, but her egg is just plain brown. There is no official, exact definition of an EE, but most chicken enthusiasts would define an EE as a cross between a blue egg layer and another breed, or the offspring of an EE and another breed that lays colored eggs, or the offspring of two EEs that lays colored eggs. Since your hen lays a plain brown egg, I would just call her a mixed breed as opposed to an EE. She is a beautiful hen though. :eek:)

She looks like an EE, but her egg is just plain brown. There is no official, exact definition of an EE, but most chicken enthusiasts would define an EE as a cross between a blue egg layer and another breed, or the offspring of an EE and another breed that lays colored eggs, or the offspring of two EEs that lays colored eggs. Since your hen lays a plain brown egg, I would just call her a mixed breed as opposed to an EE. She is a beautiful hen though. :eek:)
This.

I'm not seeing Wyandotte there at all. When I first saw her pic my brain said Easter egger, but personally with the brown egg I'd call her a barnyard mix. She's a pretty, unique hen!

I really don't believe she is A SLW, still could be a cross of sorts.
Here is a pic of My EE. She is bearded.
smile.png

Last edited:
Thank you for all of the replies, I sat out in the coop and watched her lay and egg, just to see if maybe I was wrong. Turns out that I was! She laid a blue/green egg. So does that make it easier to tell? Here is the new egg compared to the old one.

Back
Top Bottom