Wyandotte Runt?

Hugz21

Chirping
May 5, 2019
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
My Coop
My Coop
I got 4x 1day old chicks and a 2 week old New Hampshire 6 weeks ago from a local lady who breeds a variety of different animals. She's got a great reputation and has been pretty helpful so far.
I've got problems with my one Silver Lacewing Wyandotte- Lilac It doesn't seem to be growing or feathering up like my others. From much googling and reading, I'm still not 100% sure what the issue could be, but I've narrowed it down to 3 options - she's just a runt, she's sick or she's actually a he. I've been keeping an eye on Lilac and how it interacts with the other birds. (S)he seems to be eating and drinking, not being bullied or hen-pecked. (S)he is definitely the loudest chick I have - out-chirping the others by both quantity and volume. See pictures and tell me what you think?
From left to right on the roost - Lilac 6 weeks old. The lacewing in question. Indigo - Australorp also 6 weeks old and Magenta - New Hampshire 8weeks old. Indigo, Violet, Amethyst (Buff orp in the foreground) and Lilac are all the same age. The first 3 are growing great, almost fully feathered, active, strong and feisty. Lilac is little, still fuzzy, really placid and seems a little week. I'm especially concerned because Lilac is my 8yr old daughter's favourite.
upload_2019-5-6_16-3-19.png

These birds do not look the same age! What did they look like when you got them? Any feathers at all?
The NH on the far right is 2 weeks older than the other 2. The tiny one and the middle one are the same age.
NH had some wing feathers (2 weeks old when I got her). The other 4 all came to me as day-olds - little fluff balls of cuteness.

Magenta? From RHPS?
My 5 chooks are all named purples. There's a bit of a story as to miss Magenta. When I first got them, I got 4xday-olds and 1x 2 week old. They were in a box in the cargo area of the car on the way home. I could hear tiny peeps from most of the babies and one VERY loud peep from obviously a single voice. I assumed the big voice was from the 2-weeker and decided on the 30min drive home that she needed a bold, brassy name to go with her voice. The delicate lacewing should get a delicate name, so she's Lilac. The "twin" australorps are Indigo (the darker one) and Violet (the lighter one), and the classy buff orp is Amethyst. Well, when I got home and transferred them from the box to the brooder, Magenta made a tiny peep. And little dainty Lilac?! PEEEEEEP PEEEEEEEP!!!!! Soooooooo loud! Magenta is totally chill and more of a Matronly Madge than a brassy Magenta.

Ok, as long as she has good food she should be fine... Is it at all possible she is a Wyandotte bantam?
The breeder I got them from doesn't have any bantams so I doubt it. She was also the only egg from this mother this season... so I wonder if that has anything to do with it. The breeder said sometimes her Wyandottes are slow to feather and not to worry. But I worry. I think it would break my heart to lose her

Back
Top Bottom