Wyandottes and children?

Cyneswith

Songster
Jun 14, 2017
Camden, SC
Have I made a big mistake? I have a 2 year old and a 4 year old, and ordered Australorps, Buff Orpingtons, and Silver-laced Wyandottes for my first flock (I wanted to do 3 colors of Orpingtons, but they weren't in stock together during the times I could receive them.) I was confident in this until a friend reported that all the Wyandottes she's known have been foul-tempered. How ARE Wyandottes with kids as opposed to others?

Each chicken has a completely different personality. For example: Cochins are supposed to be very nice but you get the occasional mean one, leghorns are supposed to be flighty but they can be really nice. Most birds if handled starting from the first week they will be friendly. My Wyandottes are generally pretty nice but not as much as my Red Sex Links. They all come running when they see someone coming. I wouldn't worry. Make sure you post pictures when you get them!

I am pretty new to chickens, but I have a lavender Orpington and a silver laced wyandotte. Both are very gentle with children. My Orpington is on the standoffish side and my wyandotte is a bit silly but very friendly. I think you made great choices! Just be careful with the kids getting their eyes too close to the chickens beaks. My kids wear sunglasses when they visit the chickens from past experiences with curious chickens and kids eyeballs in their faces. :)

My experience with silver laced Wyandottes are they are very nice birds but tend to strive for power in a flock they tend to be more aggressive with other more passive and docile breeds but ince the pecking order is sorted out they'll do well with each other. I've never had a hen peck me unless she was broody. The only chicken I'd worry about hurting your kids is a rooster, don't worry about the Wyandottes hurting your kids.

I've never had a specifically mean Wyandotte but they aren't as social as my other breeds. I particularly love Barred Rocks if you're looking for love bugs. NOTE: It's all in how you raise a chick that makes it nice and docile or aggressive and/or foul-tempered. Temperament can also be decided by bad genetics or good genetics.

Back
Top Bottom