Wyandottes!!! Why are they sooo hard to sex??

Here is a picture of 2 grow outs from last season, the pullet is on the left. Cockerels usually have a darker head and get "shields" of white on there shoulders, while the female is more evenly patterned. Plus his comb is pinker.
Wow that is really obvious on yours! Thank you for sharing!

I got more close ups of my 5 week olds yesterday...

Here is a close up of "white head" from the hatchery.... we need to name them already.

Here is 2 pics of "black head" from the hatchery- Just so much pink going on!

Here is the Gold Laced... the suspected Roo we hatched. The pink is turning tan which gives me some hope for a pullet. Should it?

veruruna.jpg

Here is a pic of my guy/gal striking his/her best roo pose. Still no idea. But thought I'd toss my pic on the mix. About 10 weeks Btw.

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk 2

Holy Waddles! Oreo is about 10 weeks and her waddles are very small in comparison. Thanks for sharing!

veruruna.jpg

Here is a pic of my guy/gal striking his/her best roo pose. Still no idea. But thought I'd toss my pic on the mix. About 10 weeks Btw.

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk 2

Holy waddles is right! Haha! Those waddles just gave me hope that my 11 week GLW is a girl! I will post pics later today. But our waddles are not that far along! Thanks for sharing!

How are your "girls" coming along? Any new thoughts or pics on their sex?

Here they are at 12 weeks? I am losing track of time... But finally took more pics today!

Here is the Gold Laced... probably a boy but we are still holding out hope for him!

And here is our white headed Silver gal?... we think gal

I have and have had SLW and GLW and the waddles on yours are fine and don't seem to be too big or to indicate a male. Combs can get a bit pink but as long as they don't start growing out (assuming them have rose combs) that's usually more pullet than cockerel. The white in the head is also an indicator of a pullet. My GLW hen looked a lot like yours at that age... I'm fairly sure you've got pullets, but yes...with hatchery birds you never know until they get around 12-14 weeks.I believe your safe.

Those last two pics...glw.... you have a girl.... slw...you have a girl.
smile.png

Last edited:
Last post of pics for this duo! I hope this thread will help others with this breed. We have covered quite a few weeks and thank you everyone for showing your comparison pics. Please feel free to add more so we can help others. As for us we are still not 100% on this GLW. Final thoughts?

Here is the GLW at 14-15 weeks now

Here is the SLW that had the revers coloring as a chick...

And one shot for comparison ...

Leg size is the same. Neither are crowing like some of the others are. GLW is the most skiddish and does not behave like the other cockerels do but obviously has more red in it's comb and waddles.

Thanks friends... this has been fun!

Back
Top Bottom