Wyandottes!!! Why are they sooo hard to sex??

Ok, here is my Dotty (I know not the most original name but it suits her! lol). So her comb came in very pink and then turned tanish at the bottom. It is kind of hard to see but her comb isn't all red, just the new areas as she grows. She is a hatchery girl and her lacing isn't very good either. To be honest I am concerned about the pink comb and wattle but as I stated before, she doesn't act much like a cockerel. As a newbie, I am going to wait until she either lays an egg or HE crows. We can't really keep roos so fingers crossed
fl.gif
that she really is a girl. I should mention that she is 7 weeks old.

Here is another picture of her:

I know that it has been a while but I have an update. Dotty is a girl! She just started laying about 3 weeks ago (she was the last of my girls and 11 months before laying her first egg.) These Wyandottes are so hard to sex. Here is an updated picture of her. Her lacing is also much prettier as an adult vs pullet

This thread is treasure of a find! I ordered 20 pullets about 16 weeks ago and as of yesterday was convinced that half are cockerels. But looking at these posts gives me a bit of a breather on that; perhaps I've got mostly pullets afterall, maybe one cockerel. I'll let them age a bit more before I get carried away with filling the freezer with extra boys.

A nice couple offered me some of their newly hatched Silver Laced Wyandottes and I picked out 6 chicks - random - and now they are 5 1/2 weeks old. These are my first chicks and I have no clue what sex. I have a few pics but not sure what you need to see to help me with sexing them. Plus, I spend lots of time with them, but darned if I can tell some of them apart. I've only named 2 - there is one that is very large and one very small....rest look alike now that they are getting older. Is there something I can do to tell them apart - short of dying them Easter Chick colors (LOL - Just kidding!) THANKS!!! And I'll have to load 6th chick later - if I can figure out which one it is and some better pics which I'll try to ultimately update and state which one is laying and which is crowing.

What I just realized will be funny - you guys will tell me which sex they are and I won't be able to tell which one is which even from the pics. Do they make bands or something that won't hurt them that I can mark them with. A friend told me Wal-Mart has chick necklaces that you can get engraved with their name that you can put around their necks....HA!!!

My guesses would be
#1- roo
#2- can't tell, need a close pic with it's face
#3- roo
#4- pullet
#5- roo

The boys will have fatter legs, and a larger pink comb. You will usually see wattles coming in on the boys

Thanks for responding....I've been guessing for a while and think I have 4 roos and 2 pullets.....I've got to figure what to do once I'm sure what I have. I have purposely not named them for fear that I would need to move my boys along. Still hoping.....

I know that it has been a while but I have an update. Dotty is a girl! She just started laying about 3 weeks ago (she was the last of my girls and 11 months before laying her first egg.) These Wyandottes are so hard to sex. Here is an updated picture of her. Her lacing is also much prettier as an adult vs pullet

Dottie is gorgeous! I am thrilled to see her lacing change over time too because we have a pullet that looks very much like yours did as a youngster with a lot of dark. I hope her coloring ends up as pretty!

What I just realized will be funny - you guys will tell me which sex they are and I won't be able to tell which one is which even from the pics. Do they make bands or something that won't hurt them that I can mark them with. A friend told me Wal-Mart has chick necklaces that you can get engraved with their name that you can put around their necks....HA!!!
I have 22 chicks, all about 9 weeks, give or take a week. We have 5 Easter Eggers, 5 Golden Laced Wyandottes, 4 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Speckled Sussex, 2 Cuckoo Marans, and 4 Red Stars. All of them have names, except the Wyandottes. We just call them "The Quints." <sigh> They ARE hard to tell apart!

I was so convinced that I had a roo that I almost gave her away. Oreo had thick legs, waddles, a pink comb, stood upright and wasn't very friendly. She is still a total Diva but a beautiful one at that!

Back
Top Bottom