Wyoming Unite!!!!

Pics
Hi fellow Wyomingites! I am a fairly new resident in the Cody area, going on a year. We just bought a house and started up a flock right away, something I've been wanting to do for years. I now have eight hens about 11 and 14 weeks old, who are all healthy.

I am wondering where folks in this area buy their chicken supplies. Any favorite stores, best prices, and has anyone found organic feed anywhere?

Also, the people at the store where I purchased my chickens said they came vaccinated, as required by law (?), but didn't know for what diseases. Does anybody know anything about this? Haven't had much luck searching online. Mareks, probably?

Thanks very much, glad to have found you all.
welcome-byc.gif

Very frequently the people who work in chain stores don't actually know what they are talking about. There is no State of Wyoming law requiring chickens to be vaccinated. The requirement to bring poultry into the State of Wyoming is either a veterinary certificate of health of the flock or the hatchery's NPIP certificate. All hatcheries are required to have NPIP certification. The hatcheries offer the option to vaccinate against Mareks for an extra charge. It is possible that the place where you purchased your chicks paid extra to have them vaccinated but the employee who told you this was required by law was wrong and could just as well be wrong about the chicks having been vaccinated.

x2..... I've never heard of that either. Mine were vaccinated against Mareks, but that's because I ordered it when I placed my order. I pick up some of my stuff from Lintons, and when we go to Billings I hit Tractor Supply. I'm not too far from you, AlineD. I'm in Cowley. There's a new Tractor Supply opening in Cody soon, and I can't wait!

I am in Upton Wyoming and will be going to the Town Council Meeting July 8th. I am putting together documents regarding Ordinances for chickens. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

welcome-byc.gif

Very frequently the people who work in chain stores don't actually know what they are talking about. There is no State of Wyoming law requiring chickens to be vaccinated. The requirement to bring poultry into the State of Wyoming is either a veterinary certificate of health of the flock or the hatchery's NPIP certificate. All hatcheries are required to have NPIP certification. The hatcheries offer the option to vaccinate against Mareks for an extra charge. It is possible that the place where you purchased your chicks paid extra to have them vaccinated but the employee who told you this was required by law was wrong and could just as well be wrong about the chicks having been vaccinated.
Unfortunately not all hatcheries are NPIP certified (Cackle Hatchery). Make sure they are before you buy, the PO can send your chicks back if it is not marked NPIP certified on the box.

Unfortunately not all hatcheries are NPIP certified (Cackle Hatchery). Make sure they are before you buy, the PO can send your chicks back if it is not marked NPIP certified on the box.

If Cackle Hatchery is not NPIP certified and they are not including a veterinary certificate of health, then they are illegally shipping because all states require a minimum of NPIP certification or a veterinary certificate of health. Hatcheries are not required to provide a certificate if they list their NPIP number on the package when it is sent.

If Cackle Hatchery is not NPIP certified and they are not including a veterinary certificate of health, then they are illegally shipping because all states require a minimum of NPIP certification or a veterinary certificate of health. Hatcheries are not required to provide a certificate if they list their NPIP number on the package when it is sent.
I have not actually ordered from them because I could not find any information on their website regarding NPIP, they could be including a health certificate, but I don't know for sure. When I first got chicks I didn't know it was required but I chose to get chicks from NPIP hatcheries because I felt I would get healthier chicks. I later found out about the requirements and I am thankful I made the choice I did.

I agree that hatcheries are not required to provide the certificate, I've had to request one with every shipment. Like you said, the package is labeled with the NPIP number. Meyer hatchery puts an NPIP sticker on the box.

I just wanted to let others know that if you can't find NPIP information on the hatcheries web site or in a catalog be sure to call and ask.I would be devastating to have chicks sent back because the hatcher is not following regulations.

Like many laws/regulations in Wyo the Npip thing isn't enforced on a regular basis. I'm sure occasionally boxes are checked but I have had several orders shipped from non npip farms without proper vet check documentation without any trouble. Maybe it isn't right but it happens alot

Back
Top Bottom