YE LOYAL YOLK-FELLOWS Chicken Coop (Newly Finished w/pics)

chickylou

Songster
10 Years
Jan 29, 2009
Valparaiso
Hi BYC Friends,

We finally finished our coop. Just to tell the story, we had a pool on the back of our deck. It exploded in a thunderstorm and we had a gaping hole hanging off the back end of our living room. We had no idea what to do with it. We wanted something we could look at that was pretty and practical, so we decided to make it our chicken and goat home. So far it has worked out really well. It is right outside so I can walk out on the deck for easy chores. I just walk down the stairs and milk the goats. We still have a bit of work to do on it, but it turned out to be a great replacement for a pool. Now kids jump in the pool to pick up chickens and pet goats.
big_smile.png

Here are our pictures. I hope you enjoy them. The wife is the visionary and the husband accomplishes the vision!

The back of our house, the goats, the deck and beginning to build structure.
22043_coopb.jpg

A little more structure.
22043_coopa.jpg

Coop view from the living room and why it just HAD TO BE CUTE!
22043_coopfrominsidehouse.jpg

The finished coop in a bit of English Cottage Tudor style.
22043_finishedcoop.jpg

The coop name: "Ye Loyal Yolk-Fellow" and my chicken artwork as finishing touch.
22043_coopsigns.jpg

Inside the coop! This really has worked out well. We have half of the coop hanging off the deck and that is all mesh chicken wire. We have two top roosts which they love and two lower roosts right in front of the windows. When they are in the coop they love the window spaces and it is cute to see their faces looking out the windows. Also, most of the poop goes right down into the sand for an extremely easy clean up job!
smile.png

22043_insidecoop.jpg

Chicken at the door.
22043_chickindoor.jpg

Our pullets are only 8 weeks and we won't be building nesting boxes until September or so. We will also build trap doors under the wire mesh on the floor for winter.

Lastly, here is just a pretty picture of our pathway to the backyard. I love the flower colors.
22043_gardenpath.jpg

So glad it's done. Hubby is REALLY glad it's done.
wink.png

Thanks for viewing!

I love it .... That is such a cool idea.... Can the animals get up on the deck also? If so I bet your goats have a blast running full out hop up and down on that,,, You get my vote for most ingenious coop and run...
celebrate.gif

That is just beautiful. What an outstanding job of planning and executing an idea! I love your irises and your little garden path, but your coop and painting takes the prize. Bravo!

Thank you for your kind comments.

Just to answer the question, the coop is 35 sq. ft. total.

Right now, my 5 older kids are sitting out on the deck around the rim eating watermelon and pizza and watching our chickies taking sand baths.
big_smile.png
Great entertainment when you don't own a TV.

22043_kidsandcoop.jpg

We're having great fun now that it's done!

Back
Top Bottom