Yellow Jacket Stings

It can take a while for the body to get rid of things. When my youngest son ate something that he was allergic to, it took around a week for him to stop breaking out into hives. Then this week my husband bought some deo for me and when I used it I broke out into hives so thick and close together that it looked like I had large welts all over my body and that took about 3 days for most of the hives to go away.

Yours have lasted over a week so keep a close eye on them.

Edited: I have had a lot of allergic reactions to many different things (including stings) but have never had any develop into pits. If it were me, I would be thinking about seeing a doctor.

Last edited:
an age old herbal remedy that actually works as i do it myself is as soon as the sting happenes so might be a bit to late now

but try for next time

is to rub black steel on the sting

it brings down the swelling if not stunting it completly from forming

an age old herbal remedy that actually works as i do it myself is as soon as the sting happenes so might be a bit to late now

but try for next time

is to rub black steel on the sting

it brings down the swelling if not stunting it completly from forming
What form of black steel do you use?

Seems like the benadryl is keeping the hives in check, but even now, 10 days later, the itching is dreadful. So far, only ice packs help at all. Thanks to all who posted to help me and keep me from feeling so alone and sad!

What form of black steel do you use?

Seems like the benadryl is keeping the hives in check, but even now, 10 days later, the itching is dreadful. So far, only ice packs help at all. Thanks to all who posted to help me and keep me from feeling so alone and sad!

any steel will do

black is because its been fired and turnt black like gun metel

i have only ever used black steel so can only vouch for that

three weeks ago my husband was 'swarmed' at the barn -- I drove him to the ER immediately -- NASCAR would have recruited me if they'd seen the drive into town!
he had more than 70 stings -- nurse stopped counting with 32 on one of his legs ---
immediately started him on the epinephrine injections and the 'drip' --- also high dose of steroids ---
he was a very sick man for several days --- really, really scary --

he is still feeling the burning and the itching is awful --

he had not renewed the epi-pen prescription --- but now there is a 'pen' in several places -- in the barn, chicken house, garage, etc. ---

the guy who cleaned out the nest (in the ground at the barn) took five 'hornet bombs' to do it and then he filled the hole in with dirt topped with the kind of concrete that 'sets itself' with water --

there are still a couple of ticked-off yellow jackets in the barn -- buzzing around looking for their former 'headquarters' ---

so -- the message here is to be very careful that there are not more of the wretched things in the area where you were attacked --

glad you are doing so much better -- the doctors said it takes 'about six weeks' for all the venom to be out of your body -- be very careful and DO go to the doctor if you have any weird symptoms ---

also found out that a tetanus booster is a good idea after a yellow jacket sting ---

If I get stung ONCE, I swell up an area as large as I can spread with my hand (about 8 inches). If I got hit 6 times, it might be time to call 911! I keep a bottle of clear ammonia on hand. The last time I got stung (put my hand down on a brown wasp that was on a porch railing) I immediately soaked a paper towel in ammonia and held it on the bite for about 20 minutes. I did not experience any swelling at all. Ammonia is the active ingredient in After Bite; it is supposed to react with the protein in the venom and deactivate it (same idea with meat tenderizer). It won't help much at this point, but this may be helpful "next time".

Yep. I learned that one when I was 8 and got stung on the neck at a neighbors house. The mom ran and got ammonia and that stuff worked like magic! It took the pain away instantly and no swelling. I say took the pain away, it still did hurt but only a very little bit.

three weeks ago my husband was 'swarmed' at the barn -- I drove him to the ER immediately -- NASCAR would have recruited me if they'd seen the drive into town!
he had more than 70 stings -- nurse stopped counting with 32 on one of his legs ---
immediately started him on the epinephrine injections and the 'drip' --- also high dose of steroids ---
he was a very sick man for several days --- really, really scary --

he is still feeling the burning and the itching is awful --

he had not renewed the epi-pen prescription --- but now there is a 'pen' in several places -- in the barn, chicken house, garage, etc. ---

the guy who cleaned out the nest (in the ground at the barn) took five 'hornet bombs' to do it and then he filled the hole in with dirt topped with the kind of concrete that 'sets itself' with water --

there are still a couple of ticked-off yellow jackets in the barn -- buzzing around looking for their former 'headquarters' ---

so -- the message here is to be very careful that there are not more of the wretched things in the area where you were attacked --

glad you are doing so much better -- the doctors said it takes 'about six weeks' for all the venom to be out of your body -- be very careful and DO go to the doctor if you have any weird symptoms ---

also found out that a tetanus booster is a good idea after a yellow jacket sting ---
Wow, that is so horrible! I'm glad he is on the mend. That is so scary.
It has been 2 weeks since I was stung, and now I am much better.
The hives which ended up making the itching of the stings seem like butterfly kisses, have finally receded and the itching is almost entirely gone.
The benadryl worked like a charm, but I was a zombie for the better part of a week. Eventually I adapted a tolerance, but it was so gross and foggy for a few days. I had no idea how expensive allergy medicine had become, not using it normally. I have always kept benadryl, in small quantities in the house because it is effective for pets as well as humans in appropriate doses.
But I had to buy large quantities to keep enough in my system to stave off the allergic response.
Thanks again for everybody's input.
The amonia was great on the sting sites, but made the hives sooo much angrier.
Frozen pennies are a splendid idea for immediate relief.
Thanks for all the advice.
I spent 3 days (super high on benadryl) propped in bed with ice packs on the hives, and it was the only thing that helped, once they had raised.
Hope if this happens to anyone in the future, folks can read this thread and find some ideas for managing their situation.

So glad you are better --- Bob had to go back to the doctor --- he was getting dehydrated (who knew that yellow jacket stings could cause that?!) It seems that the itching/hives caused by the stings can make fluid to come to the surface of your skin??? With all the ice we had packed on, this was a surprise ---
-- lots and lots of water -- was told not to take the 'gatorade' type drinks as there might be a 'reaction' (and we surely didn't want another 'reaction' -- whew!)
also to spend even more time in the shower with cold water running ---

we do not want to do this again -- ever!

Take care!

Back
Top Bottom