Yellow peachick with some brown in back area? Any ideas on what it will be?

The Baby was all yellow when hatched and is now at about 3 weeks getting some brown on back area. Any ideas?

This egg was laided before I paired off my Peas. I have BSSP male female, IBSP Male, Bronze Male IB Male split white, Midnite Male,BSMale, BS Pied Hen and BS Spalding hen, Others I have are not of breeding age yet.
Definitely a blackshoulder chick. Both parents have atleast one blackshoulder gene. Is it also split to some other color is a big ???

Yup looks like the yellow, one Ill try and get a picture of the chick soon. Been so busy around here

This is a chick that I hatched from one of the eggs from @DylansMom . It was marked as BS split to Cameo/BS.

-Kathy

Autumnmfisher, all chicks that are black shoulder,regardless of their color are all yellow,male or female when they hatch. We have about 5 colors here that are b/s,or there are b/s birds in the breeding pen. We get a lot of b/s chicks each hatch,thats why I made a compartments in my hatcher to keep all chicks seperated until I can zip tie them.

Autumnmfisher, all chicks that are black shoulder,regardless of their color are all yellow,male or female when they hatch. We have about 5 colors here that are b/s,or there are b/s birds in the breeding pen. We get a lot of b/s chicks each hatch,thats why I made a compartments in my hatcher to keep all chicks seperated until I can zip tie them.
At what age can you sex a BS?

-Kathy

-Kathy

Argh!!! I can't remember the age, I don't think I ever really paid attention to age. I know for me it helps to have more than 1,
hide.gif
that way you can compare them. Males will just continue to get darker and darker and will show the green/blue around the neck much earlier than hens.

This pic shows Mom, 2 boys and a girl. Going by the date of the photo they are probably around 4-4.5 months old, and I'm quite sure we could tell their sex younger than this.

-Kathy

I've learned the chicks that are black shoulder that seems to get much more black feathering in them turns out to be hens, but of course they lose this and only get the black flecking on the feathers. The males will have more black as adults but the black does not come on with males as quickly as future females. Normally by about 4 months on bssp I can make a good guess. Opal b/s,,now thats a diffrent story altogether.

Last edited:
I've learned the chicks that are black shoulder that seems to get much more black feathering in them turns out to be hens, but of course they lose this and only get the black flecking on the feathers. The males will have more black as adults but the black does not come on with males as quickly as future females. Normally by about 4 months on bssp I can make a good guess. Opal b/s,,now thats a diffrent story altogether.
My IB Black Shoulders color up the opposite - my males have lots of black on them and the females have less black. My males get green neck feathers and hens don't.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom