Yellow/Shriveled Ears on Leghorn

Aug 11, 2020
One of my leghorns has slightly yellowed ears and they look almost shriveled in a way. This is accompanied by some slight feather loss around her comb and a little on the back of her head. The feather loss looks to be like they've been pecked at, but she is one of the more alpha chickens so I'm curious as to whether it could be connected to the yellowing ears (typically white). There is no ooze or leaking fluid to be seen, and all my other chickens aren't showing this issue whatsoever, including her look-a-like Leghorn.
From the few posts I've seen the ear infections seem to come with a discharge and wetness of some sort, but this girl's ears seem almost excessively dry. She is eating and drinking and roaming around like she normally does.
If anyone has a suggestion as to the issue, I would love to hear you out. Thank you.
(If pictures would be more helpful I can try and snap a couple)

Attachments

• 20210318_130745.jpg
    20210318_130745.jpg
    464.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210318_130759.jpg
    20210318_130759.jpg
    439.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210318_130748 (1).jpg
    20210318_130748 (1).jpg
    448.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I had a couple of ancona chickens, cousins of the leghorns, and every year after molting during winter and not laying, they had yellow earlobes and the combs were dry and shriveled. It happened every year. So I would not worry as long as they are active and alert, eating and drinking normally. The feather loss on the back of the neck, is possibly from roosters damage as they grab the feathers during mating.

I had a couple of ancona chickens, cousins of the leghorns, and every year after molting during winter and not laying, they had yellow earlobes and the combs were dry and shriveled. It happened every year. So I would not worry as long as they are active and alert, eating and drinking normally. The feather loss on the back of the neck, is possibly from roosters damage as they grab the feathers during mating.
No roosters in my flock (yet!), but I very much appreciate the peace of mind through your shared experience. They both just finished molting so that is perfect timing. I appreciate the perspective! Will be keeping my eyes peeled for any behavior that isn't normal.

Back
Top Bottom