YIKES! What to do with a mean chicken? I have a terrorist Buff Cochin.

rarebear

Songster
7 Years
Apr 5, 2012
North Carolina
She is only 13 weeks old. I bought her from a hatchery at a day old. She was my favorite of that group of 6 and I held her a lot. I also hatched out 6 more chicks 3 weeks later and she is awful with them. She doesn't stop at a peck but actually bites them..hanging onto their neck skin. Today she did the same to one of her flock. She will sit on my lap and likes being petted but I am getting worried she will hurt the others. ALL suggestions are welcome.

In our family, I won't tolerate aggressive animals at all. Even toward flock members or chicks. I would either find a new home for her where she can be a pet or (depending on your point of view, etc.) make her into chicken dinner.

In our family, I won't tolerate aggressive animals at all. Even toward flock members or chicks. I would either find a new home for her where she can be a pet or (depending on your point of view, etc.) make her into chicken dinner.

I thought about re-homing her. I makes me sad as she is the one I wanted the most but I also love all the others too. Thanks,

She is only 13 weeks old. I bought her from a hatchery at a day old. She was my favorite of that group of 6 and I held her a lot. I also hatched out 6 more chicks 3 weeks later and she is awful with them. She doesn't stop at a peck but actually bites them..hanging onto their neck skin. Today she did the same to one of her flock. She will sit on my lap and likes being petted but I am getting worried she will hurt the others. ALL suggestions are welcome.
Hi, you may have raised her status by so much favouritism to her. Owners with roosters will often do this intentionally to ensure one remains dominant.You could try reversing this by paying the others attention, holding them and pushing her away, totally ignore her.If you are there when she attacks literally smack her off the other bird. I had a hen like that and she is fine now. of course it may not work but you will always find one hen will become the dominant one if there is no rooster.

Hi, you may have raised her status by so much favouritism to her. Owners with roosters will often do this intentionally to ensure one remains dominant.You could try reversing this by paying the others attention, holding them and pushing her away, totally ignore her.If you are there when she attacks literally smack her off the other bird. I had a hen like that and she is fine now. of course it may not work but you will always find one hen will become the dominant one if there is no rooster.

IT WORKED. Thank you.

IT WORKED. Thank you.
Hi, Good to hear. If he is a rooster & a pet, I believe there are some US vets that do caponizing (castration) under aneasthetic of course. You can search some threads on this site. It could be an option? Good luck, PMme and keep me updated. I am facing the same problem but I am in Aust so really hard to find a vet to do this. Roosters make incredible pets.

Hi, Good to hear. If he is a rooster & a pet, I believe there are some US vets that do caponizing (castration) under aneasthetic of course. You can search some threads on this site. It could be an option? Good luck, PMme and keep me updated. I am facing the same problem but I am in Aust so really hard to find a vet to do this. Roosters make incredible pets.

OK, this is a really dumb question. If a rooster is caponized will he stop crowing? I have this Buff and now a Lavender Ameraucana that I just hatched that may be a roo. It is the sweetest bird ever. If they crow there is no way I can keep them in the city. Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom