YO GEORGIANS! :)

Question. How many of you that incubate eggs open the top to remove chicks while they hatch? So much conflicting info. One lady I know removes each chick as it hatches so she can tag it. Then, most books say NEVER open the lid until they are all hatched as the rest won't hatch because you have destroyed the 'proper' environment. What is your experience with this? I would like to remove a weak chick that just hatched. Thanks

Question. How many of you that incubate eggs open the top to remove chicks while they hatch? So much conflicting info. One lady I know removes each chick as it hatches so she can tag it. Then, most books say NEVER open the lid until they are all hatched as the rest won't hatch because you have destroyed the 'proper' environment. What is your experience with this? I would like to remove a weak chick that just hatched. Thanks
I'm always hands-on and I always remove chicks as they hatch. The humidity, just like the temperature, will return to where it should be once the lid is closed again. Momma hens will often lift up to eat the broken egg shells as the chicks hatch, or to nudge them back in the proper place. Plus the hatching chicks will often kick eggs around under her, and sometimes out from under her, which she also lifts up to nudge back. So do it the way nature does. Yeah, the temp and humidity will change for a quick second after you open it. But as long as there is water in there, and the incubator is on, both will return to normal soon after you close it again.

Books probably just say that to get you to avoid helping chicks hatch - which can cause harm if you don't know what you're doing. But screw that - imitate nature!

The key is to work fast to keep from loosing too much humidity. We opened three time during our last hatch to remove the early birds. Still had 100% hatch rate. Will do again this time if the hatch drags out again. Had our first external pip this morning so I'm expecting to have new ducklings all out by this weekend. (Knock on wood)

Okay, so back to the good-ish side of things? Maybe?

I think my frizzle hen has FINALLY started to lay. I know I didn't collect eggs on Sunday, but yesterday afternoon I collected three bantam eggs instead of just two. That means my little mixed-breed bantam isn't the only one laying, unless she somehow popped out three eggs between yesterday and Sunday.

All three are in the incubator now. Due June 10th.

I can't remember if I've asked... I have a FBCM cockerel (of GAM fame) in need of a home. He's a few months old and still quite sweet. :)

Oglethorpe county outside of Athens!

Newbie here!
I'm UGA class of 2006 and we live in Walton County now. :)
We have 6 silkie chicks along with the rest of our zoo: Golden retriever, 1 cat, 2 kittens I've raised since two weeks, 3 ferrets, and thousands of fish in our stocked pond. :)
We'll do milk goats sometime down the road.
We are 1 1/2 year newlyweds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newbie here!
I'm UGA class of 2006 and we live in Walton County now. :)
We have 6 silkie chicks along with the rest of our zoo: Golden retriever, 1 cat, 2 kittens I've raised since two weeks, 3 ferrets, and thousands of fish in our stocked pond. :)
We'll do milk goats sometime down the road.
We are 1 1/2 year newlyweds.

Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom