YO GEORGIANS! :)

One benefit of rooftop critters, few predators! Rats cant climb 3 stories and with basic cover any owl, hawk can get to my babies. They cant dig out or under cement and clean up is easy and with sunlight stays dryer so no smells. By the way this thread won the most number of posts I had to catch up on yesterday 212!

I was wondering... If I trap him, kill him and hang him up to allow his carcass to rot, would that smell deter further raccoons? Or would that just be a waste of time? Maybe I should just make a hat.

Waste of time. They are good hunters, but they are also scavengers. It would only ATTRACT more.

I finally had time to take pictures of our new chicks we got from MPC. They were a week old on Monday. I still can't tell the difference in 5 of the yellow/gold ones. I talked to MPC today and they sent my refund for the Blue Cochin that they didn't put in the box and the MPC employee told me to take pictures of the yellow/gold chicks and email them so they could put the breed with the picture. And here they are: Easter Egger Female Blue Silkie Roo Buckeye Roo Delaware Female Dominique Female Buckeye Female Partridge Cochin Female Now come the ones I don't know about. Along with the ones above that I ordered I also ordered 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Red Stars (Golden Buff) and I was supposed to get 2 Easter Eggers. MPC said that one of the yellow ones could be the other EE. 1. No idea 2.No idea 3. No idea 4. No idea 5. No idea And we got a Silkie from our daughter's Silkies that hatched the day our chicks shipped. White Silkie :love If you know what any of the yellow/golden ones are please let me know.
Looks like one and five are your buffs, the sexlinks will have white feathers mixed in with red/gold. Your buffs should be solid buff, sometimes the chick fluff will be smutty, esp when from a hatchery. Also, doesn't look like your Silkies will have huge crests, neither one have vaulted skulls, just fyi :)

I do believe a festive hat is in order. On the subject of predators, how much trouble would I get in for killing a fox or bobcat?

Not sure about a bobcat, but for a fox - not much.

Henry County apparently has a huge issue with rabid foxes right now. Thus when I catch the one on my property (have to keep the **** possums out of the trap FIRST), it's going to animal control to be put down.

Looks like one and five are your buffs, the sexlinks will have white feathers mixed in with red/gold. Your buffs should be solid buff, sometimes the chick fluff will be smutty, esp when from a hatchery.
Also, doesn't look like your Silkies will have huge crests, neither one have vaulted skulls, just fyi
smile.png
Thanks for the info on the five goldies. Now to figure out if they actually sent me hens like I ordered. Hmm... Prob not.
As for the Silkie...what is a crest? The head fluff? Guess I need to look it up. LOL! This is all new to me. My daughter has had her Silkies for about 2.5 years I believe, 3 hens and 1 rooster all white. I just love how fluffy they are...
love.gif

Here are some pictures of my daughters Silkies and my white Silkies' parents. She lives in Loco community so they call them Loco Silkies.

Pictures were taken in winter the reason for the plastic cover around the run.
She is still hatching eggs. So far counting my Silkie chick she has hatched 5 and has more in the incubator.
Some of her chicks are the white/yellow/gray mix color and some are like smoky gray. Will this change and they be all white when fully grown?

Last edited:
I do believe a festive hat is in order. On the subject of predators, how much trouble would I get in for killing a fox or bobcat?
bobcat and Grey foxes u can hunt and kill red foxes ar protected and u can not touch with out getting DNR involved. If u know u have a red fox eating your birds call them they will bring traps and help take care of the problem.

Last edited:
When hatching in cartons, do they HAVE to be cardboard?

I don't think so. In fact someone wrote that the plastic ones can be sterilized while the cardboard ones can't be. (Before you use them). Be sure to cut the bottoms out of each 'hump' ans trim down the sides to allow the humidity to get to them. I love this method. Candle the eggs at lockdown and turn the lowest dip of the air sac towards you. That way, all the pips are facing you! You won't have to worry about the eggs getting rolled all over.

Back
Top Bottom