YO GEORGIANS! :)

The Chinese-style salty duck eggs are almost ready! Here's a photo:

upload_2017-11-17_4-49-28.png

I made the brine using star anise, black tea, Szechuan peppers, Shaoxing wine, and of course, salt. You can see in the photo where some of the salt has leeched out from the lid seals and dribbled down the outside of each jar. That's a good sign though. It means that the brine is salty enough to cure the egg yolks. The salt in the brine is what makes the yolks of the eggs solidify. I used a high-quality Shaoxing wine this time, so the yolks should take on a reddish tint. I can hardly wait to pop the lids on the jars, crack open the duck eggs, and see the results.

Last edited:
Pickled eggs is one of those things that has always disgusted me, but I bet if I could try it, I would like it. :) Not sure I would like the texture, that's big with me and food.

Pickled eggs is one of those things that has always disgusted me, but I bet if I could try it, I would like it. :) Not sure I would like the texture, that's big with me and food.
These are different than pickled eggs since these eggs are aged raw. The Chinese use aged salty eggs a lot in cooking. They prefer using duck eggs, but you can substitute using chicken eggs as well. I used chicken eggs last year, and they came out just fine.

Only the yolks are used when making moon cakes, but the Chinese will often use the whites as well as an ingredient in other dishes such as congee (rice porridge). Personally, I find the whites way too salty. The aged egg whites also remain in liquid form when you crack open the eggs, so only the yolks solidify. As for texture, the yolks come out very different from that of hard-boiled eggs. It's kind of hard to describe; the texture of the yolks are firm, yet when when you bite into them, they are not dry and crumbly. The process for making aged salty duck eggs is thousands of years old, but I find it amazing that someone way back when came up with this simple method for transforming raw duck eggs into a fantastic alternative ingredient for cooking.

Anybody on BYC live in Georgia?
I'm gonna make a list of Georgians below! Let's get the LONGEST list possible! Each name counts one point, and mods or staff are worth 5 points!

Georgians' names collected so far:
1. SeramaSweetie
2. Pumpkinpup
3. porteryork
4. rooster-red
5. jonbanks
6. Chix-in-GA
7. mazdacrzy
8. Missouri chick
9. bantyman
10. 1acrefarm
11. EggCentric