YO GEORGIANS! :)

I dont want to bother the conversation going on but i forgot to give this link to you Flowerbh about those people near you.
link
i dont know why their site is all messed up.
Thanks, Lady Who! I used to go there all the time. She got out of chickens for a while. I may have to sign up for a booth....depends on if I want to hatch out chickens and ducks! Could also sell eggs!

Thank you for that post. I'm going to check out your suggestions. I know those premade coops can be flimsy I've had a couple. One did pretty well, the other one I was careful to weatherize it every once in a while and keep it protected from the elements. I sold it when I moved. Oh, and I figured out that the other post wasn't for me when I took a closer look at it. Wish me luck!

Thank you for that post. I'm going to check out your suggestions. I know those premade coops can be flimsy I've had a couple. One did pretty well, the other one I was careful to weatherize it every once in a while and keep it protected from the elements. I sold it when I moved. Oh, and I figured out that the other post wasn't for me when I took a closer look at it. Wish me luck!
Being here in the mountains, we have lots of predators.....coyotes, raccoons, possums, bears, hawks, eagles, dogs, etc. Make sure your coop is strong enough for them. I would recommend getting something with hardware cloth and not just chicken wire. Also something that won't tip over if a bear or coyotes are pushing on it. And, you need to make sure they can't dig under.

But here it's different, live in the woods, no grass, no dirt for dusting. I have to get something that can protect a chicken. Not too small in case I do decide to get a couple hens.

Don't worry so much. As long as they have enough room and you're good to them, they'll be fine. Go to Tractor Supply, get you a couple chicks and they'll adapt to wherever you put them. Make sure the coop is raccoon proof at night and you'll be good to go.

Thank you. I think I'll just keep the rooster for now. I will be careful about the coop being predator proof. The raccoons here are enormous compared to FL. Good grief!! I really appreciate the heads up!!!

Being here in the mountains, we have lots of predators.....coyotes, raccoons, possums, bears, hawks, eagles, dogs, etc. Make sure your coop is strong enough for them. I would recommend getting something with hardware cloth and not just chicken wire. Also something that won't tip over if a bear or coyotes are pushing on it. And, you need to make sure they can't dig under.

I wasn't happy with the things I saw on line. I talked it over with my DH and we're going to build something, cause after 47 years, he knows when to pitch in. I brought 50 ft of hardware cloth with my from FL. The only catch is that I have to wait until after April 30. My procedure now is to put Mr Rooster in the garage around 4:00 PM. In the AM I turn the light on in the garage, open the little window, check his chicken feed & give him a blueberry & some sprouted bird seed, a couple whole kernels of corn and a few sunflower seeds. Then after I'm done walking the dog through our woods I let Mr Rooster outside. I have a 5' fence, but fenced area is shaded so I leave the gate open so he can go into the sun at the side of the house. Besides dogs, what else might get after him mid morning? I'm starting to worry about him being out in the open.

Babies

Attachments

• IMG_20190224_183552662.jpg
    IMG_20190224_183552662.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 5
I wasn't happy with the things I saw on line. I talked it over with my DH and we're going to build something, cause after 47 years, he knows when to pitch in. I brought 50 ft of hardware cloth with my from FL. The only catch is that I have to wait until after April 30. My procedure now is to put Mr Rooster in the garage around 4:00 PM. In the AM I turn the light on in the garage, open the little window, check his chicken feed & give him a blueberry & some sprouted bird seed, a couple whole kernels of corn and a few sunflower seeds. Then after I'm done walking the dog through our woods I let Mr Rooster outside. I have a 5' fence, but fenced area is shaded so I leave the gate open so he can go into the sun at the side of the house. Besides dogs, what else might get after him mid morning? I'm starting to worry about him being out in the open.

I know that you might have to worry about hawk and eagles.

Back
Top Bottom