YO GEORGIANS! :)

So, I had some eggs from a vendor. Ordered 12, but got 18! Two were cracked so I set 16. 7 were not fertile, 4 were early deaths. 5 went into lockdown, only 2 hatched. Anyway, I wrote the vendor a nice evaluation of my whole experience with her eggs. (2 other vendor's eggs did extremely well with the same incubation time) Anyway, this vendor was really nice and offered to send me a whole new set of eggs! Yea! So here is my question. I would like to set some EEs, Araucanas or Wheaton Ameraucanas eggs, too. Does anyone live in the North GA mountains who may have some cheap eggs for me to incubate with this new batch that is coming? I live in Dawsonville near Amicalola Falls State Park. Near Ellijay or Dahlonega. Let me know! Thanks.

I know a lady who has americaunas who does eggs for 20 bucks a dz that's where i got mine. I can get you her info if you want it

I know the rain and wind and yuk days are a pain but....I think it has accomplished one thing at least. My girls have put themselves to roost in their coop two nights in a row by themselves. I reserve doing the happy dance until a few more nights like this have passed.
Yes - the rain & wind are a pain, and I'm ready for some sunshine!! My poor garden needs less wet & more warm.
But - YAY for you and your girls going to roost on their own!! (Just do a pre-happy dance
celebrate.gif
lol)

Funny story about roosting. So I've had my flock a week today. Before we got the girls, my dad and I spent 2 weeks building the pen and 2 very nice houses - 1 nesting house & 1 roosting house, plus a little shelter for the food & water. Anyways, I didn't think to check and see where they were roosting until 2 days later. Monday night, me & dad went to check on them, and what do I hear? clucking noises coming from the nesting house!!!!
So I peek in, and sure enough - they are roosting on the little planks in front of the nesting boxes!!!
he.gif
I thought to myself - oh boy, I don't have a very bright bunch, do I??

So, I've had to block off the entrance to the hen house until they learn they are NOT supposed to sleep where they lay their eggs. They found the right roosting area without a problem the next night. I'm SO glad they are only 3 months old & are not laying yet. By the time they get ready to start laying, I can open up the hen house again and they should have learned by that time where to sleep versus where to lay the eggs (I HOPE!)

Yes - the rain & wind are a pain, and I'm ready for some sunshine!! My poor garden needs less wet & more warm.
But - YAY for you and your girls going to roost on their own!! (Just do a pre-happy dance
celebrate.gif
lol)

Funny story about roosting. So I've had my flock a week today. Before we got the girls, my dad and I spent 2 weeks building the pen and 2 very nice houses - 1 nesting house & 1 roosting house, plus a little shelter for the food & water. Anyways, I didn't think to check and see where they were roosting until 2 days later. Monday night, me & dad went to check on them, and what do I hear? clucking noises coming from the nesting house!!!!
So I peek in, and sure enough - they are roosting on the little planks in front of the nesting boxes!!!
he.gif
I thought to myself - oh boy, I don't have a very bright bunch, do I??

So, I've had to block off the entrance to the hen house until they learn they are NOT supposed to sleep where they lay their eggs. They found the right roosting area without a problem the next night. I'm SO glad they are only 3 months old & are not laying yet. By the time they get ready to start laying, I can open up the hen house again and they should have learned by that time where to sleep versus where to lay the eggs (I HOPE!)
Too funny. Before I put my two girls in the new coop I blocked off the 4 nest boxes with one long scrap of plywood left over from the build. (I read about it some where) Mine would not use their roost perches. I tried to put them up on them and they freaked out as if I had put them on the edge of a cliff. I put my hands half way between the perch and the floor and sure enough they used me like a step to get off. Sooo off to Hobby Lobby for bits and bobs in the dowel rod section. I built a baby ladder of sorts and connected it to the lowest perch with curtain rod brackets (I keep extra things like that for just such needs). Whala they took straight to it and never looked back, they use their perches every night (weather I have had to put their feathered back sides in the coop or like the past two nights they have). I have 8 assorted chicks arriving in just over a week. So glad I started with just 2 so I could work out some of the bugs and my girls can show the newbies the ropes around the coop.

Speaking of 8 new chicks coming in soon with 2 currently 6wks old in the coop. Any suggestions for when the newbies are ready to go into the coop? I know a have a month +, but I also know how fast the little fluff and stuffs grow.

Well just took the kyak out to rescue my teenagers (chicks) lol ;) moved them all indoors my house and hubbys shop thier pen had 2inches of standing water. I wish this rain wood stop.

Lucky for us the our land around the house, dog pen and coop slant away so there is no flooding, but with all this rain for so long its getting nasty all the same. Silver lining is the weather has once again flush my girls in for bed for a third night in a row instead of me having to. I know I need we all need the sun, just hoping this becomes a habit for them. When I went to check on them in he coop through the side window they startled me. I was looking on the low perch where they like to boost. Instead I when I glanced up there were two sets of beady eyes staring at me, they were on the high roost. Okay I admit to a little squeak, after all it's dark, pouring rain, cold and all I had was a flash light lol. Nice to know they are owning their space. I just hope they transition well when I move the 8 newbies in sometime about a month out.

Back
Top Bottom