Yogart???

partimer

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 11, 2009
wink.png
Curiosity on methods used to feed yogart?? What methods are being used and working well.? I mixed a little, very little feed on top of the yogart, they cleaned it all up by morning. Just a tray from the ice cream container, or what to put it into. Good suggestions please, I have 53 that'll attack it. and smile thanx Paul

hmm.png
The little 53 are only 2.5 weeks old, I think they can handle the oats, so how much and how do you feed it to them?? Mixed? in a saucer? thanx

I have a much smaller flock so I dump it in a large mixing bowl or leave it in the container and turn it on it's side. I admit, I enjoy watching them eat with their heads in the container and feathers to the sky. If I had that many birds, I'd use a clean plastic flower box like a trough and stock up on plain yogurt when it goes on sale at the grocers. I also do quick oats mixed with apple bits from my own table leftovers. Gives them some roughage and stretches it a bit further. They fill up so quickly on the oats that I can't do that too often or they will quit laying for me. I also like to stock up on can corn during the winter months. I dump it right out of the can. My bantys drink up the water and any niblets to small for my larger laying hens to worry over. Hope that helps!

We have been making our own yogurt. We use MissPrissy's recipe. With milk being pretty reasonable right now, we can make it for less than $1 a quart. We have stock piled some milk in the freezer, so if milk goes up in price, we can still make it cost effectively. It is the best yogurt I've ever had. The chooks love it as well. You can find this recipe on MissPrissy's page. I would highly recommend it. It takes a little time, but it's very easy, and like I said delicious.

I feed it to my 10 layers in a large SSTL dog bowl. It's a site to see them all attach the bowl at once. I usually give them half a quart at a time. I stir in the quick oats until it starts to feel somewhat thick. I would guess about a cup of oats per pint of yogurt.

Well, I'll be darned! I make my own dogfood, soap and laundry detergent. I'll be trying that homemade yogurt next! After all, it's not what you save but what you don't spend. Thanks!

Quote:
If you can't find the recipe, let me know. I will help you find it or send it to you. I have made enough of it now, that I know it from memory. Just PM me if you need anything.

(We also make dogfood and laundry detergent) I agree completely with your comment.

Would you, please? And not hijack this topic but I'd also be curious about what your pup food and base soap ingredients.

Partimer:
I also feed my chixs crushed, roasted peanuts. I can buy it by the pound at the feedstore and it's a great source of protein. Makes the whole kitchen smell wonderful while they are roasting and cooling. I am getting some gourds from neighbors so I'll be roasting the seeds next and pulverizing any leftovers in my food processor. Running them through my birds first just makes for a quicker compost for my garden is how I see it and they just love the variety.

Back
Top Bottom