You know you are "Country" when...

This happened to me just the other day

You know your country when your at your computer at work and your boss says"umm Tara... you have something really nasty looking on the bottom of your shoe" You look down and say ohh..its only chicken sh!t and turkey feathers"

Everyone else looked appalled, its just day to day life for me!

Quote:
lau.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
thumbsup.gif

When you have a "get together" at the house and your city dwelling friends insist on using the pasture not the bathroom to pee.

....when a possum walks into your kitchen when you open the door, without a by-your-leave or anything, and grins at you as he takes a tour of your house.

....when you name the possum Earl.

This actually happened when I was in high school--only it was a racoon! We moved into a house where apparently the previous tenants had been feeding this thing...so one day during dinner it lets itself in through the pet door, walks into the kitchen, has a look around, eats the cat food, investigates the living room, and goes back out! This became a daily occurrence for a while, and we named the raccoon Bob because it had no tail.

My husband also pees in the yard, to 'save water'.
When I was in high school, we were often late to school because of sheep or cattle drives on the highway. The highway was the only paved road in town.

You know you're country if:
You have baby goats or lambs wearing diapers in your living room because you don't want to walk across the yard to bottle feed them.
You catch your husband feeding the livestock in just underwear and a hat.
You've butchered a cow carcass on your dining room table.
You serve a roasted turkey at a get-together and warn people that they might have to pick out a few feathers you missed.
You've mucked pens/stalls in a short skirt and dress shoes because you noticed they were dirty as you were on your way out to go to town.
You've ever ridden a horse to the grocery store, a friend's house, school, church...
You can tell different kinds of animals apart simply by their smell. You can tell one cow/horse/sheep/goat/chicken/whatever from another in your collection by the sound of its voice.
You have a special set of pants and shoes for handling goats because the buck likes to pee on your leg. (I don't know if it's normal, but mine does, and only on me!)
You've ever been washing dishes and turned around to see some form of livestock standing behind you because it knows how to open the back door. (I've had both a horse and a goat that did this)
You have a system of buckets in your kitchen next to the trash can to sort which items of 'trash' can be fed to different types of farm animals and what can go in the compost pile.
Your desk drawer contains more eartags, castration bands, and vaccination syringes than pens and paperclips and white-out.
You've ever used vetwrap to bandage a wound on yourself or a family member.
You tell your friends all the details of gross things that happen at your farm while you eat lunch and wonder why they suddenly aren't hungry anymore.
You videotape your animals giving birth.
You knit sweaters for your baby goats because you don't want them getting cold.
Your horse blanket cost more than your best dress/suit.​

Quote:
This actually happened when I was in high school--only it was a racoon! We moved into a house where apparently the previous tenants had been feeding this thing...so one day during dinner it lets itself in through the pet door, walks into the kitchen, has a look around, eats the cat food, investigates the living room, and goes back out! This became a daily occurrence for a while, and we named the raccoon Bob because it had no tail.

My husband also pees in the yard, to 'save water'.
When I was in high school, we were often late to school because of sheep or cattle drives on the highway. The highway was the only paved road in town.

You know you're country if:
You have baby goats or lambs wearing diapers in your living room because you don't want to walk across the yard to bottle feed them.
You catch your husband feeding the livestock in just underwear and a hat.
You've butchered a cow carcass on your dining room table.
You serve a roasted turkey at a get-together and warn people that they might have to pick out a few feathers you missed.
You've mucked pens/stalls in a short skirt and dress shoes because you noticed they were dirty as you were on your way out to go to town.
You've ever ridden a horse to the grocery store, a friend's house, school, church...
You can tell different kinds of animals apart simply by their smell. You can tell one cow/horse/sheep/goat/chicken/whatever from another in your collection by the sound of its voice.
You have a special set of pants and shoes for handling goats because the buck likes to pee on your leg. (I don't know if it's normal, but mine does, and only on me!)
You've ever been washing dishes and turned around to see some form of livestock standing behind you because it knows how to open the back door. (I've had both a horse and a goat that did this)
You have a system of buckets in your kitchen next to the trash can to sort which items of 'trash' can be fed to different types of farm animals and what can go in the compost pile.
Your desk drawer contains more eartags, castration bands, and vaccination syringes than pens and paperclips and white-out.
You've ever used vetwrap to bandage a wound on yourself or a family member.
You tell your friends all the details of gross things that happen at your farm while you eat lunch and wonder why they suddenly aren't hungry anymore.
You videotape your animals giving birth.
You knit sweaters for your baby goats because you don't want them getting cold.
Your horse blanket cost more than your best dress/suit.

My chickens come in if we leave the back gate open. Loose dogs have also come in the house when I had the back door propped open - big ole hound dog just plopped down behind me and mad himself at home one night. Never bothered the chickens either. He wandered off later that night, never saw him again.
It's either Vet Wrap (in hunter orange too!) or Duct tape (plain ole silver) because bandaids just don't hold up for people who actually work for a living! (I put a bandaid or gauze under the duct tape though!)
I'm starting to think we could 86 the trash can completely if I got a burn barrel (we are techincally in the city, so I keep a pile of cardboard to take to FIL's burn barrel) I've got a dog bucket, cat pan, chicken dish and compost bucket.
Ok so I haven't castrated anything yet, but all that other stuff plus extra links for dog collars, various tools that never seem to find their way back to the toolbox, various bullets that got loose somehow, batteries of all kinds, What are paperclips used for anyway???? Maybe that's why I can never find a pen that works
idunno.gif

*When the only color of coat worn around town is either camo or Carhartt, with a camo or hunter orange hat.
*When there is a DISTINCT lack of pickup trucks driving around town on the first Saturday of modern gun season. It's noticable! On the other hand, there is a DISTINCT influx of mud-covered trucks in the morning commute on Monday as everyone trudges back to work
lol.png

*When you spend all afternoon working on your truck and your coworkers are like "so now it's fixed?" and you grumble something about how it's never fixed but it's still getting from point a to point b.
*When you can't even go to the DMV to renew your car tags without meeting a relative.

Last edited:
Your 'nice' shoes are the ones without mud on them

You buy day old bread and bruised fruit for the chickens

You buy a dog house for your ducks, and the dogs sleep on the bed (yours!)

You are a vet tech and arrive at work with dog hair already all over your scrubs

Your car looks like a livestock trailer........on the inside!

Back
Top Bottom