You know you are "Country" when...

Ashmeade

Songster
10 Years
Aug 5, 2009
You know you are "Country" when you are going to your car to go to work and you snap your purse strap while slugging your rooster when he attempted to flog you.

smack.gif

lau.gif

... when your child goes to the docs and is asked what he ate that made him sick and he list of several bugs, dirt and also mentions that he was sharing with the chickens and the doc says "Do you think that's why you were sick" and the kid goes "NO, I eat them all the time, I think it was the meatloaf!!!!!!!!" and the Doc isnt' fazed a bit!!

Needless to say... happens all the time here
idunno.gif

You know you are a country person when you need new boots and you bypass the 'girly girl' styles and head right for the muck boots that are on sale!

Also when half of your wardrobe is heavy duty camo cargo pants with plenty of pockets to hold everything from nails to eggs that you manage to accumulate through the day.

And finally, when you carry a Buck knife and a Multitool in your purse instead of compact and lipstick.

We have almost 30 acres of mostly timber with some pasture. Sometimes we wish we had more land, especially timber and sometimes we are glad that we have just the acres that we have. There is a lot of work, mowing, grooming trails, repairing parameter fences, harvesting wood for winter heating, but at night when you lay in bed and can see shooting stars flashing across the incredible night sky, hear the insects in the forsythia bush outside and the owls in the timber without one car going by, it's all worth it.

Our home isn't fancy, just a simple Amish building and a roomy barn, but we love it and call it home. We just wish we could have done this in our prime years, but our careers kept us busy.

Take my advice, all of you looking ahead to owning extreme rural land. Find some way to make it happen and make your dream come true. It won't be an easy life, but it will be one you will never regret.

I just have to add another one to the You Know You are Country, When.......You park your tractor in the barn and leave your car sitting out in the rain because the tractor is more valuable to you than the car!

You know you're country when...

There's too much work, too little time, not enough pay, no time off sick, no vacation, watching clouds this close to harvest, everything rides on faith.... Too much stress....

And when it gets to be almost too much to handle, you can go find a bird and grab it and...hug it...

And then stop and sit and ponder all the blessings you've been given to have this bird, this view, this bounty, this stress that I call "life"... This gift.

No other coping skill out there helps me quite like raking rocks or hugging a chicken; makes time stop for just a second so I can catch a second wind ;)

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever been as dirty as I was today, having both cleaned the coop and bathed two chickens. That must be part of being country!

It had to have been around 90 degrees today with very high humidity and blazing sun, so I was sweating badly. My White Rock sprayed me head to toe with muddy, soapy water, and I had dirt smeared all over my shirt from where she had been against me. A combination of bedding dust, both dirty and clean, clung to my damp skin in an itchy and uncomfortable coating, and my wet feet felt like pincushions from all the pine shaving splinters sticking to the bottoms. Then somehow runny duck poop was flung up my shins, creating smears everywhere, not to mention that I had accidently hit myself with a poopy snow shovel more than once. Needless to say, I took a shower!
lol.png

-Alexandra33

Back
Top Bottom