You know you are "Country" when...

Quote:
Or around harvest!!! I'm shooting for next April, then I'll have our first baby in December. Long enough after harvest to be in the clear (even if it's early) and long enough before planting to endure the many sleepless nights without worrying about getting up the next day!

BTW, I love the teenager peeing off the roof! That one was great!

Okay, this was an occasional occurrence for us...when you forget to pay the PG&E bill (harvest again) and they shut it off on you so you have to call and have a guy come out to turn it back on that day so you don't have to wait until Monday (why do they ALWAYS do it on a Friday?!) and you have to explain to the twit operator that no power means your well pump is out so you have no water!
th.gif

Quote:
Thank you!!
fl.gif

...when you just finished wrapping your hair in curlers (the kind you keep in till your hair dries) and some one comes so you answer the door anyway and they don't say anything other than, "Ya'll goin' out tonight?" This one happened when I was working (live on site) and had to go out in front of a customer that way
gig.gif

You know you're country when the second biggest bill you have behind your mortgage is hay. We go through about 180 big round bales a year.

I'm guessing that feed (chicken, horse, goat) is number two.

YKYCW--your closest neighbor is a mile away.

You see your neighbor at least twice per year when he comes to haul away your manure.

Power outages mean that you get ulcers 'cause you worry about the livestock not having water. (and can't afford a generator)

All the store clerks in town (which is not 'the city') know you by name, and occassionally remind you about something you forgot to pick up.

There is almost as much dog hair in your truck as there is on your dog.

You have to pay someone to haul away your garbage.

Once a year you get to listen to the mama cows bawl their heads off for a couple days when the calves are weaned.

You and DH like to sit out on the porch at night and listen to the coyotes sing along the creekline.

There is a shotgun propped up in the corner of the spare bedroom because that door stays closed and a house dog or house cat can't accidently knock it over and shoot a hole through the wall.

You distinguish between a house cat and a barn cat and/or a farm dog and a house dog.

Your kids drove a tractor LONG before they ever could drive a car.

You forget your wallet/purse/checkbook when you go to pick up feed, and the store owner says, 'Not a problem, I know where you live, just drop it off next time you're by.'

You know the vet's phone number--home, office, and cell, by heart.

You can quote bloodlines of horses/cattle/dogs/sheep and who knows what else by heart, know what is 'in' and what throws what, but haven't a clue about fashion trends or style.

Every little kid in your town learned to ride on the same pony, who is still alive even though by anybody's best guess he's 43.

You tell someone that if you're not home to just go inside your house and set whatever they have for you on the table/put it in the fridge/whatever--but be sure not to let the house dogs/cats out.

Your delivery people know to shut the door of their vehicle when they drop off fuel, feed, or whatever, or they are going to have a truckload of farm dogs who want to go for a ride sitting behind their steering wheel.

The UPS guy calls you from his cell phone to ask you to bring in the farm dogs or come get your package.

You leave cookies in the mailbox for Tom, your postman, every Christmas.

You send eggs into town with your husband for his city co-workers.

Your farrier/vet/delivery person/whoever has caught you squatting in a stall while peeing in the barn.

You have told your vet or farrier that you 'Need to go see a man about a horse,' so that he doesn't come into the barn while you're squatting in the stall.

Your dogs really look forward to vets and farriers coming to visit.

Winterizing means putting heaters in stock tanks, breaking out the Carharts, plugging in the truck and tractors, and putting ice spikes on the bottom of your chore boots instead of changing around your wardrobe.

Your house has a mud room, and it more than lives up to its name.

Your clothes are often too muddy/smelly/bloody/gross to put in the clothes hamper.

Stain fighters of every kind go into every load, every time and the only cycle that ever gets set on your washing machine is 'Heavy Duty.'

You do the little wave thing over the steering wheel and to cars driving by your house whether you know the people or not.

In a pinch you can trim horse and cattle hooves, and you trim your sheep and goat's feet without even thinking about it.

You know how to give sub-Q, IM, and IV shots better than most nurses.

You have an irrational fear of electric fence, which you call 'hot wire.'

You have castrated all sorts of male animals, and have threatened your huband with the bander/emasculator when pushed beyond all rational sense.

You have CDT/Pen Aq/Banamine/and who only knows what else in your fridge; Bute, SMZ-TMP, and LA 200 on your countertop; and syringes and needles of all sizes in your junk drawer.

Spring means baby animals, planting, and MUD.

If your animals get out and you're not home, your neighbor will put them away, and leave you a note that they got out--not because they were upset, but because you'd want to know. You would do the same for them without even thinking about it.

When a person's word and a handshake actually MEAN something!

Therese

Quote:
To walk me down the aisle, my dad had the choice between his white sneakers or his brown lace ropers. We voted for the ropers. They look nicer once cleaned up!
lol.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom