You know you're a backyard chicken owner when...

When you pause every time you open the back door: to listen to the wild birds. Are all the wild birds content, or is someone making an alarm call? When you scan the sky and listen for the "scree" of the many hawks that prowl overhead. Then, you listen to your own flock, to determine if they have finished last night's supper.

When you are rather sure the chickens are trying to talk to you. I have had a hen that would say something that sounded like 'no' and walk away if you asked a question at times. Also, my current rescue who is living isolated inside screams 'MAMA' when I leave the room.
That’s so funny. I had a Cornish Cross pullet that I would make chicken sounds to and she would respond and we’d have a conversation :gig

When you are rather sure the chickens are trying to talk to you. I have had a hen that would say something that sounded like 'no' and walk away if you asked a question at times. Also, my current rescue who is living isolated inside screams 'MAMA' when I leave the room.
My rescue is still being treated but lives on my patio and if she sees me in the room will “knock” at the door with her beak until I come out to visit.

Back
Top Bottom