Young and new to backyard chickens

I recently got a chicken in March.
My family found a buff Orpington chicken, we estimate was just about two months old at the time we found her out on the streets in a deserted area so we took her home.
My parents also bought two chicks a week ago, but they didn't bother asking about or remembering the breed so I'll have to figure that out once they're older.
I'm the one who's usually taking care of them, changing their water, feeding them, covering their cage at night etc. So that's why I decided to join so that I could have more knowledge in what I'm doing
Welcome to BYC!!

How many should we have? And why is it bad? Just curious
I'd say you should have at least 4.
Chickens are social animals, so it's best for them to have more than 1 other flock member.
Also, if one of the chicks dies, the other one would be all alone and you'd need to get another friend for it. It may take time until you'd get another chicken(s), so in that time your one chicken would be all alone. Therefore its best to have more than 2 chickens.

I'd say you should have at least 4.
Chickens are social animals, so it's best for them to have more than 1 other flock member.
Also, if one of the chicks dies, the other one would be all alone and you'd need to get another friend for it. It may take time until you'd get another chicken(s), so in that time your one chicken would be all alone. Therefore its best to have more than 2 chickens.
Alright I'll make sure to tell my family about this thank you!

Back
Top Bottom