Young goose walking on tiptoes

Yes I believe it’s her. She’s the smaller one.
My guess is that it’s rickets, she needs vitamin D, D3, phosphorus, or calcium. I know you were feeding them a decent feed while they were goslings with added vitamins, I’m not sure what you’re feeding them now but I’m thinking that she may have had some sort of metabolic issue since hatching and struggles with nutrient absorption.
You might try boosting her intake of those specific vitamins and then keep her on a broader multivitamin in her water. She might go back to walking more normally but it’s questionable wether she’ll lose the bow leggedness.

My guess is that it’s rickets, she needs vitamin D, D3, phosphorus, or calcium. I know you were feeding them a decent feed while they were goslings with added vitamins, I’m not sure what you’re feeding them now but I’m thinking that she may have had some sort of metabolic issue since hatching and struggles with nutrient absorption.
You might try boosting her intake of those specific vitamins and then keep her on a broader multivitamin in her water. She might go back to walking more normally but it’s questionable wether she’ll lose the bow leggedness.
Ok-I’m pretty much feeding them the same mixture when they started living outside. Flockraiser with cracked corn, black sunflower, whole grain oats. I add duck feed to mixture when have it. They free range so they have access to whatever greens they want.
Can you be more specific on the vitamins and nutrients you mentioned? Like in liquid form? In certain foods?

Ok-I’m pretty much feeding them the same mixture when they started living outside. Flockraiser with cracked corn, black sunflower, whole grain oats. I add duck feed to mixture when have it. They free range so they have access to whatever greens they want.
Can you be more specific on the vitamins and nutrients you mentioned? Like in liquid form? In certain foods?
I browsed on internet about vit d and calcium. It looks like I’m giving them that in form of the oyster shells and black oil sunflower and the vit b complex. Snd the free ranging. It’s apparently not enough? Any more suggestions on what I can add?
Sorry for the bombardment. Just trying to be sure I understand.
Would giving her mashed boiled eggs help?

Human grade vitamins are fine, there are a lot of brands to choose from. Powder form or capsules can be hidden in treats or stuffed down her throat. Poultry nutri-drench and rooster booster poultry cell are decent liquid multivitamins, you’ll need a syringe to administer them orally because the taste is pretty awful. Calcium can be given free choice in the form of oyster shell.
I’ll look up the dosages for vitamin D and phosphorus.

I’d suggest only offering corn as an occasional treat, sometimes birds can develop vitamin deficiencies when corn is added to their diet because it’s sweet but nutritionally poor and they’ll snack on it like candy and ignore everything else.

Human grade vitamins are fine, there are a lot of brands to choose from. Powder form or capsules can be hidden in treats or stuffed down her throat. Poultry nutri-drench and rooster booster poultry cell are decent liquid multivitamins, you’ll need a syringe to administer them orally because the taste is pretty awful. Calcium can be given free choice in the form of oyster shell.
I’ll look up the dosages for vitamin D and phosphorus.

I’d suggest only offering corn as an occasional treat, sometimes birds can develop vitamin deficiencies when corn is added to their diet because it’s sweet but nutritionally poor and they’ll snack on it like candy and ignore everything else.
Ok thank you. I did not know that about the cracked corn. Will cut back on that. I do have poultry cell. Should I continue to give her orally the vita jec b( vit b complex)?

Back
Top Bottom