Young male guinea slit his toe open; Won't stop bleeding.

Soaking the foot a little can often help gauze come loose.

When using regular gauze apply a bit of ointment then the gauze. I prefer using nonstick pads if I have any on hand since they come off a little easier.
You'll want to check that foot daily for a while. May be a good idea to give it a soak in chlorhexidine daily, pat dry, apply your ointment/gauze, then re-wrap daily for about a week. Keep him on clean dry bedding. Once it's healing really well, you can go a couple of days without changing the wrappings.

Update- He is doing better, and is being super sassy and energetic. His foot is still nasty looking though, and some gauze got stuck in his wound, and I can't get it out. The pictures are from yesterday.
Edit from two days after I wrote this 😅 I forgot about it..
I got the gauze out, but it started bleeding badly. I put some styptic powder on it, and it helped. I didn't look at his foottoday, but it is looking better. View attachment 3439616View attachment 3439615
Yay!! Better is always good. I had a girl with bumble foot. For gauze I have wrapped a warm wet (not soaked but good and wet) washcloth around the foot to moisten the area, and gauze comes right off. Just a thought, if you can apply it in the future. I am very happy to hear he is better, though. 😁

When using regular gauze apply a bit of ointment then the gauze. I prefer using nonstick pads if I have any on hand since they come off a little easier.
You'll want to check that foot daily for a while. May be a good idea to give it a soak in chlorhexidine daily, pat dry, apply your ointment/gauze, then re-wrap daily for about a week. Keep him on clean dry bedding. Once it's healing really well, you can go a couple of days without changing the wrappings.
I'm sorry I repeated what you said. Didn't mean to do that. Guess that's what I get for trying to do three things at once!!

I did soak the foot to get the gauze out, but I think it was a mistake, because all it did was soften the area and make it bleed.

Yay!! Better is always good. I had a girl with bumble foot. For gauze I have wrapped a warm wet (not soaked but good and wet) washcloth around the foot to moisten the area, and gauze comes right off. Just a thought, if you can apply it in the future. I am very happy to hear he is better, though. 😁
Thank you! I have a bumblefoot girl at the moment. We go rid of it the first time, but the second time I just let her go after a week. Once the guinea gets off the porch, she is going on. I may need to cut the infection out, rather than soak and squeeze. It's getting annoying to repeatedly squeeze.

Sorry for not posting in a while! Russell is much better. His toenail is already starting to grow back. He is very happy being with his siblings. Yesterday he even got the chance to hang outside and pick at grass. Well, I put him away a few minutes before his siblings because his older brother chased him off from the grass area. Other than that, he is very happy.
Thank you everyone for your amazing suggestions!!

Back
Top Bottom