young mallard or young rouen ?

Jacob Temple

Songster
9 Years
Apr 13, 2012
i went to tractor supply and got some ducklings ( note they have both mallards and rouen ) and i thought they were mallards they were so small i didnt remember my other mallards being that small but i got some and they have grew pretty quit and one is still small but very stocky and the other one is a little tall i would think for there age can someone help me

I just got five mallards from tsc two weeks ago. I am new to ducks but from what I've been reading rouens have two eye stripes mallards only one. Some of mine have a
broken line underneath the solid one. My ducklings look like this.

A BIG WELCOME TO DUCKDOM!!!
WE'RE GLAD TO HAVE YA!

They look like mallards to me, but could very possibly be mixes of the two! When they get older, you'll be able to tell for sure. Rouens are very built and fluffy, while mallards are sleeker and more agile. I usually can tell the difference because Rouens have the saggy breast when they're fully grown. Either way, VERY VERY CUTE!! And good luck to you and your duckies!!

Both mallards, they have the broken 2nd stripe and their to small to be rouen. I have had 7 mallards and 2 rouens and yours are deffinitly mallards.

Back
Top Bottom