Young Mama Chicken

SussyPurplePlayz

Chirping
Mar 5, 2024
Hey guys! Yesterday, one of my young chickens was covering 10 eggs. I didn’t think much about it, until today…

Today, I see her covering eggs again. Incredible, the first time I see a chicken actually trying to be a mother!

Please do tell me, everything which I should know/do for continuing this thing. Thank you!

AFA6AF04-E38A-41E8-8A24-3FEC68A21C70.jpeg

She is broody.
Do you want her to hatch eggs?
Or do you want to break her from hatching eggs?
Do you have fertile eggs for her to hatch?

Being a first time broody you have to be ready for her to quit somewhere along the 21 days or even abandon and hurt chicks if they hatch.
My first time broodies sat on eggs, but unfortunately another hen came in ate eggs and hurt the only chick that hatched. They never quit and i had to break them.

Hey guys! Yesterday, one of my young chickens was covering 10 eggs. I didn’t think much about it, until today…

Today, I see her covering eggs again. Incredible, the first time I see a chicken actually trying to be a mother!

Please do tell me, everything which I should know/do for continuing this thing. Thank you!

View attachment 3768513
She’s so pretty. 🥰 If she’s in a spot where she’s safe and not being bothered, then she’s going to be fine. You can block off her area to give her privacy. If other hens are disturbing her nest, consider moving her, or mark her eggs so you can remove any new ones the other hens lay. There’s a lot of options, but I will tell you what I do to avoid any stress on my broody hens… I just remove mine to their own quiet, safe place to let them brood in peace. Post chick photos when they hatch!

She’s so pretty. 🥰 If she’s in a spot where she’s safe and not being bothered, then she’s going to be fine. You can block off her area to give her privacy. If other hens are disturbing her nest, consider moving her, or mark her eggs so you can remove any new ones the other hens lay. There’s a lot of options, but I will tell you what I do to avoid any stress on my broody hens… I just remove mine to their own quiet, safe place to let them brood in peace. Post chick photos when they hatch!
I sure wish i could have moved my hens before allowing them to hatch eggs.
I didnt think my other hen was gonna eat the eggs.

I sure wish i could have moved my hens before allowing them to hatch eggs.
I didnt think my other hen was gonna eat the eggs.
I wish all the best for your girl. I have a Black Serama/Mille Fleur d’Uccle (Evvie) who laid her first egg Feb 8. By Feb 20, Evvie was crazy broody. I moved her and gave her 2 fertile Serama eggs from 2 of my other girls. She’s now a very proud new mama.

I wish all the best for your girl. I have a Black Serama/Mille Fleur d’Uccle (Evvie) who laid her first egg Feb 8. By Feb 20, Evvie was crazy broody. I moved her and gave her 2 fertile Serama eggs from 2 of my other girls. She’s now a very proud new mama.
I hope my Orpington will go broody sometime in April and i can give her chicks ill be hatching!
I mean if weather would make up its mind she would have been broody last week. She stayed in the box all day and night then cold struck.

Okay, if they ever hatch, I sure will show photos!

And what do I do for the night? I shall make her sleep with her eggs in another house, alone?

I hope my Orpington will go broody sometime in April and i can give her chicks ill be hatching!
I mean if weather would make up its mind she would have been broody last week. She stayed in the box all day and night then cold struck.
I hope she does too! I’d love to see teeny buff chicks. I love my buff Orpingtons. ❤️

Okay, if they ever hatch, I sure will show photos!

And what do I do for the night? I shall make her sleep with her eggs in another house, alone?
If she’s safe at night where she is currently, she’ll be okay. ☺️ Broodies really don’t like being bothered, so she probably won’t mind being by herself much of the time.

Back
Top Bottom