Young Pullet Missing Feathers on her Back

GregsHotWife

Hatching
Jun 22, 2022
Hi I am new to the chicken world. I have 6 pullets that are 9-10 weeks old. I noticed a bald spot on my smallest australorps back a couple weeks ago. It was only visible if she spread her wings. I noticed a few days ago what appeared to be pin feathers coming in. My first question is, is this normal at this age? And should I separate her (really not sure how I would do that)? The others dont seem to be harrasing her but once in a while if they are on the outdoor roost I will see whoever is next to her pick the little feathers. Usually just once, not continuously.

Attachments

• Pin Feather.jpg
    Pin Feather.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Bald.jpg
    Bald.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 8
Only 6 pullets. I got them all together in May. They are all the same age. Here are 4 of the others. The one missing is another australorp. But she is definately not a roo.

Attachments

• Chicks.jpg
    Chicks.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 7
I have 6 pullets that are 9-10 weeks old. I noticed a bald spot on my smallest australorps back a couple weeks ago. It was only visible if she spread her wings. I noticed a few days ago what appeared to be pin feathers coming in. My first question is, is this normal at this age?

The others dont seem to be harrasing her but once in a while if they are on the outdoor roost I will see whoever is next to her pick the little feathers. Usually just once, not continuously.
Chicks go through a mini molt at around 7-12wks of age.
If she had a bare spot, then she's regrowing what was lost. Looks like normal pin feathers coming in to me.

It's not uncommon for another chick(en) to give an exploratory pick at pin feathers. As long as they aren't plucking her bald, then I'd leave her with them.

Back
Top Bottom