Young Rooster (3-4 months old) already showing signs of aggression...help!

he does look like a beautiful roo. but do you want to keep him for babies and protection and also an alarm clock or do you want to get rid of him?

are your chickens free range?

if you want to keep him, and if your chickens free range then i would recommend getting a fence to separate your hens from your roos.
Thank you. We got his wings clipped to help with his taking flight over fence. He is behaving better too.

Wow! Fancy boy all right! He's young and you can train him! I understand your problem with an area in which to segregate him, but you need to consider doing that. It would be an important first step in curbing his aggressive tendencies.

I look back on my first "accidental" roosters, and the ones since, and I can see the pattern of coop and run construction it launched. While thinking about how you'll handle long term infrastructure to manage your roo, there are things you can do immediately to get him under some control.

Right now, I have a young cockerel who needs to be restricted in his interactions with the nineteen hens because he's rather obnoxious in his over-zealous attentions. So he gets to free-range when the hens are penned back up, and most of the rest of the time, he's content to hang out in his own pen next to the girls. You can find a way to fence off a small corner of your run area for him until you can fashion something more permanent.

By being kept separate, he will learn you are the one in charge of his access, or not, to the hens. Over time, until he reaches around age two, his hormones will steadily decrease in intensity and he'll mellow. By age two or three, you'll have a much gentler rooster than you now have.

If he's aggressive with you, come back and we'll address how you can deal with that.
Thank you.

I had a similar problem but instead of one rooster I had sixteen. I was doing some crossbreeding and wound up with more roosters than I knew what to do with. They were all desperately horney and there weren’t enough hens to go around. Re-homing was a no go and I quickly found out I had no stomach for killing. My only other option was to keep them in a separate pen while everyone else free ranged. About a year to eighteen months later when I noticed them starting to mellowing out I begin to gradually introduce them back into the flock at about one or two roos per week. I don’t know if this will work for you but it worked for me. Incidentally during their confinement the roos fought but there were no blood or injuries except to their rooster pride.

we have 2 roosters. One hen.we thought was all hens. I have tried ads. Calling resues, no one wants a rooster. They are 4 months. And pretty and sweet.I was trying to find a good home. Someone that will not eat them or fight them. Any ideas. Really need some good advise. We live in Florida in Hawthorne

Back
Top Bottom