Young roosters

lwiese58

Songster
6 Years
Mar 30, 2013
Cleveland, GA
I have 9 chicks that hatched out a little over 10 weeks ago. Because I was going for dark brown and olive colored eggs, I put specific eggs beneath my broody so there are multiple breeds in this gang. Two have been crowing for a couple of weeks but I'm having difficulty believing only 2 out of 9 are boys. A few more look to my uneducated eyes like they may be boys, so my question is, by what age should I expect crowing from boys?

Im not sure at EXACTLY what age they will start crowing, after about a few months or so, but usually when you see their comb growing out more and their tail feathers, they will soon start crowing. Usually around their teens when they start to dance toward hens. Some may crow earlier than that, but it'll sound funny and it wont be as loud.

Im not sure at EXACTLY what age they will start crowing, after about a few months or so, but usually when you see their comb growing out more and their tail feathers, they will soon start crowing. Usually around their teens when they start to dance toward hens. Some may crow earlier than that, but it'll sound funny and it wont be as loud.

My rooster is a Black Marans and among the blue eggs that hatched, some belonged to a Black Ameraucana, and some belonged to an Easter Egger, so those have small combs anyway. The eggs from my Cream Crested Legbar should (?) wind up with more significant combs but nothing so far, except the adorable little crests :). I believe one of the little guys who is crowing also belongs to the CCL. He seemed like he hatched with a noticeable comb!

I really had hoped that at least one would be a Blue Marans since the daddy is black and two of my three Marans hens are blue, but they are all black.

Back
Top Bottom