Your experience - how effective is electric netting for free ranging during the day?

Those are some nice straight top lines - no sagging! Looks great!!! Jack do you have any backup system like a dog, etc.? Any problem with the birds flying over? Looks like a good idea to RoundUp around the perimeter?

No backup, not really necessary, the fence/netting does the job. I had one hen out of nineteen, that went over the first day the netting was up. I clipped one of her wings, and that took care of that. They have a big area to roam around in, so I guess they are content with that. Yes, the roundup is a big help. I was out there moving the fence and cutting the fenceline just about every week. Don't have to do that any more.

3 years and not one loss to a 4 legged predator. The flock will learn how to dodge hawks, give them a variety of shelters and cover that they can duck into, but if they maintain an active flock alert system, which they will do after a couple of successful attacks, hawks don't take enough to negate the positives of free-ranging. IMO.

This may be a stupid question but is there a gate to these systems? Or do you just turn it off and on and move the fence to get in?

This may be a stupid question but is there a gate to these systems? Or do you just turn it off and on and move the fence to get in?

Yes, Premier sells a gate kit. Before I bought the kit, I would de-energise (VERY important) and pull up a post. It's a lot easier and convenient with the gate kit.

I de-energize, slip the net off of a post and then step over. My fence is 42 inches and I am 6'3". And yes occasionally I have gotten tangled up, but the fence post is flexible and the netting is fairly tough. No damage yet.

Jack, did you buy the kit, or the netting & posts separately?

I didn't really buy a kit. The netting comes in different lengths, and heights, and already has the poles installed. I bought the netting in the size and lengths I wanted, and bought some 6' fiberglass posts to support the corners of the fence, along with the ground rods, and the charger. Check out the link I provided in my earlier post, and you can see the product list, and cost.

Back
Top Bottom