Your experience - how effective is electric netting for free ranging during the day?

We also use the Premier One 42"/fence and it has been a miracle. One Ameracauna does fly over it. Ours is a semi-permanent installation so we put black plastic under the fence to keep the grass down and then covered the plastic with rocks. Our free range area has hazelnuts and brambles and cottonwoods for the chickens to take cover under.

I use Pemiers poultry netting and a battery powered charger that is solar recharged. The hens tried pecking at the bead . where the strands join.Once they hit a strand of wire they leave it alone. Rooster keeps a watch for anything unusual and sounds the alarm where the all head for cover. To be on the safe side I close them in at night, although I have left them open and never a problem

I have 48 inch electric netting doubled up about 3 feet apart. The netting is great for keeping in the birds, but I have lost 5 in 5 separate attacks to coyotes and a bobcat. They can jump right over it. I saw them do it. That is after jumping a 6 foot chain link fence.

I am shocked to hear of the use of roundup near chickens or any food source. You might as well just buy from the store and save yourself all the trouble!

I have the 42" Premier1 netting. I didn't buy the Plus netting, but wish I had. I ended up buying extra poles to get rid of the sagging. I also bought the double-spiked version. It works very well for me. I haven't had any problems with ground predators, but do lose some now and then to hawks and owls. I also bought their gate. It's very easy to use and was worth the price. The only problem I have with it is that it is only 3' wide. I would have preferred one 5' or 6' wide so I could easily drive a vehicle in when needed. I could, of course, just pull one of the poles nearby, but in our rocky soil here I am just lucky when I can find a spot to place the poles without hitting a rock 8 or 10 times first.

Round up is a known carcinogen. Monsanto will deny it but the evidence is there unless you talk to one of their scientists. My point is that it will end up in your birds, eggs and you if you consume them.

Electric netting is very effective at keeping chickens in. Make sure you get poultry netting, as the netting is close enough to keep them from getting through. Recommend 4 feet tall. It does not keep out predators such as coyotes, foxes, hawks, and owls out.

I don't use the electricity. Just the netting keeps them corralled. One new girl flew over the 4 foot fence, but now that all are settled in, they don't fly over.

Round up is a known carcinogen. Monsanto will deny it but the evidence is there unless you talk to one of their scientists. My point is that it will end up in your birds, eggs and you if you consume them.

Ever hear of Roundup resistant crops? Sorry to break it to you, but if you buy food at the supermarket, you are eating those foodstocks, treated with Roundup. It's practically in everything. So unless you are growing your own food supply, you are eating Roundup, Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom