Your experience - how effective is electric netting for free ranging during the day?

This is what I use: http://www.premier1supplies.com/fencing.php?mode=detail&fence_id=93

I have 650' of it, and it has worked out very well for me, even more so for the chickens. Premier has less expensive versions of the netting. But the poles are flimsier, and set farther apart. So that netting can have sagging problems. That is not a problem with the netting I posted the link for. You can either use 110VAC, or solar to charge the fence.
I had a bad fox problem around here, along with every other predator, short of a bear, and this fence(Netting) has taken care of the threat. I have hawks around here also, but my birds have ground cover/places to hide. They really get clued into what's a threat, and what's not. Here's a pic.

900x900px-LL-93819f97_IMG_1987.jpeg

Last edited:
Those are some nice straight top lines - no sagging! Looks great!!! Jack do you have any backup system like a dog, etc.? Any problem with the birds flying over? Looks like a good idea to RoundUp around the perimeter?

I have Premier 1 netting that is 48" high, and I went from 1-2 losses a month before the fence to 0 losses in the past 3 years. I use a decent AC charger so it puts out 8000+ volts, so if a predator touches it, he gets curly hair!

Those are some nice straight top lines - no sagging! Looks great!!! Jack do you have any backup system like a dog, etc.? Any problem with the birds flying over? Looks like a good idea to RoundUp around the perimeter?

No backup, not really necessary, the fence/netting does the job. I had one hen out of nineteen, that went over the first day the netting was up. I clipped one of her wings, and that took care of that. They have a big area to roam around in, so I guess they are content with that. Yes, the roundup is a big help. I was out there moving the fence and cutting the fenceline just about every week. Don't have to do that any more.

3 years and not one loss to a 4 legged predator. The flock will learn how to dodge hawks, give them a variety of shelters and cover that they can duck into, but if they maintain an active flock alert system, which they will do after a couple of successful attacks, hawks don't take enough to negate the positives of free-ranging. IMO.

This may be a stupid question but is there a gate to these systems? Or do you just turn it off and on and move the fence to get in?

Back
Top Bottom