Your preference: Laying crumble or Laying pellets?

Quote:
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
My hens eat anything! Crumbles, Pellets. They simply are not fussy. They really do like the local feed mill mash, if I wet it and make a damp crumble mixture out of it. That it saves me $2 a 50#? Mucho appreciated.

I prefer the pellets so much I wish grower formula came in pellets. I had a problem with grackles stealing the food when I fed crumbles - they went away entirely once I started feeding pellets as the pellets were too big for them. In addition there is less waste. If they bill pellets out of the feeder onto the ground they are still easy enough to see that they are able to clean up after themselves. When crumbles are spilled they're just.....wasted.

I started & stay with crumbles for a while, then the chicken forces resisted when I tried to switch them to pellets. I WON! Works out more economically for me for the same reason HEchicken posted about waste. Bought 2 50# bags of layena a few wks ago & didn't realize that one was crumbles...they wasted soooo much I had to start mixing some kind of liquid in with it too keep them from scratching som much out & leaving it.

I feed crumbles...since that is how the chick starter comes, it was just easier to continue with crumbles through the Flock Raiser bag and on to the layer feed they are now eating. I don't have much loss though, if they spill it on the ground, they eat it up from the ground too! My girls go after anything remotely food shaped though...

Love the pellets here! Less waste and they can pick the up quickly off the floor. I would be interested in hearing about the "mash". Is it in place of regular feed? A treat? For chicks only?

Quote:
Local feed mills (elevators, Feed N Seed) type places rarely have a pelletizer machine. They offer perfectly wonderful, balanced, and nutrition in a feed, for a good price, but it isn't fancy. It is more like a very course ground cereal, similar to oatmeal or Cream of Wheat.
big_smile.png

Serving it dry doesn't work for me, might for you. It's simple. Couple big scoops in a bucket. Hit the outside faucet for a few inches of water, mix with stick and serve. It is pretty darn close to crumbles when done right. The hens adore it.

Pellets in spring/summer/fall...gonna use crumbles for the "boring" months so it takes them longer to eat but I personally prefer pellets...less waste!

Back
Top Bottom