Your preference: Laying crumble or Laying pellets?

I've always used pellets since they waste less but lately the bags are coming in with about half the pellets crushed to powder. Seems like the typical US way--the more you pay for something the quality control.

I prefer pellets as I see less waste with them. It probably doesn't matter with the outdoor feeders as much since they would eat the dropped food anyway. But with the feeder is the coop, the dropped crumbles get lost in the deep litter while the pellets get picked up and eaten.

We do organic crumbles for the chicks, but organic pellets for the laying gals. We've found less waste with the pellets too and, as others pointed out, they don't get lost in the bedding as easily as the crumbles so if any land on the floor, they can still find them to eat.

Mine were raised on Flockraiser crumbles. This would last 3weeks or so. We transitioned them to Layena crumbles. Same thing. A bag would last 3 weeks. Last time I bought Layena pellets. They ate it just fine but it's only been two weeks and I need to buy a new bag already. Do they just eat more once they start laying, or is there actually less food in pellet form than in crumble form.?

Got pellets yesterday. They are eating them fine! I love it, so much less waste already, very easy to feed from the hand also.

Pellets here. The lady I got my chickens from feed them pellets and that is what I kept them on. They don't have a feeder... I just pitch 1/2 a coffee can of pellets straight on the ground of their run and they gobble it right up!

I just feed them daily and I rarely see any pellets on the ground. I didn't even know they made feeders until I came here!
th.gif

Both, they eat what they want. I have a low feeder for the 10 week olds with crumbles and a high feeder for the 20+ week olds with pellets. Most go back and forth between the two feeders so I don't think it matters to them.

I prefer crumbles. The milk soaks in better. The pellets are hard to chew too.

OH you meant the chickens? Well I should go ask them.

K Whew I am back. They said crumbles.

Back
Top Bottom