Your ultimate turkey coop

GermanChick

Songster
9 Years
Apr 12, 2010
NW Missouri
Hi :)

New to raising turkeys this year and thinking about building them their own coop.

Got to them kinda by accident. Got one at the feed store on a whim, sadly little clueless drowned in the duck pond, and kinda fell in love with it. Kid got so upset after losing clueless, who pretty sure was a broad breasted bronze, that I ordered some heritage turkeys. We have 4 Royal Palms and 2 Heritage Bronze. They obviously won't fit through the chicken pop door we have in our coop once fully grown and I don't want them to put them with our duck and geese after our first turkey drowned in their pond. Apparently they are not the smartest birds but they really are growing on us and slowly becoming our favorite. They are 4 weeks now and still in brooder at night/ out during day (90F here).

What would be your ideal turkey coop look like? Features that you wouldn't want to live without? Size? Enclosure?
We have plenty of space and planning to fence in part of our orchard for them.

Thank you

Hi :)

New to raising turkeys this year and thinking about building them their own coop.

Got to them kinda by accident. Got one at the feed store on a whim, sadly little clueless drowned in the duck pond, and kinda fell in love with it. Kid got so upset after losing clueless, who pretty sure was a broad breasted bronze, that I ordered some heritage turkeys. We have 4 Royal Palms and 2 Heritage Bronze. They obviously won't fit through the chicken pop door we have in our coop once fully grown and I don't want them to put them with our duck and geese after our first turkey drowned in their pond. Apparently they are not the smartest birds but they really are growing on us and slowly becoming our favorite. They are 4 weeks now and still in brooder at night/ out during day (90F here).

What would be your ideal turkey coop look like? Features that you wouldn't want to live without? Size? Enclosure?
We have plenty of space and planning to fence in part of our orchard for them.

Thank you
The bigger you can build the coop and the run, the better it will be for the turkeys. I consider 10 sq. ft. of clear space and absolute minimum for turkeys in a coop. My run is 50'x100' which makes for 600 to 700 sq. ft. per the adult turkeys that I currently have. I also have a fenced in 2 acre area that they get to free range daily.

Back
Top Bottom