Zip ties for leg bands?

I want to try this on my birds. If i put them on them when their done growing it shouldn't cut in the leg. I have a bunch of 4 and 1/2 month olds should i wait for them to get older? If I'm not going to show the EEs should i even bother with this?

Quote:
I use them on my waterfowl (ducks and geese). I would use them on my chickens but im not sure of the size. I dont want to get the wrong size, and then I have bands I cant use.

What size would a silkie take?

I have RIR's and I get size 11 leg band and they fit perfect. The site I mentioned above has a size chart which list the breeds. The leg bands I use are the plastic spiril bands. I use colors and combinations, since I have just one breed currently. I used zip ties but found they tightened up. The spiril have some give.

Can anyone tell me if the leg band should be loose enough to drop down around their "ankle", or should it be slightly tight enough to stay in place? Fitting instructions would be helpful. Also, how the heck do you get them on the bird? The only time I think it would be possible for me to leg band my Bourbon Red turkeys is gosh... never! They sleep out in the pasture and it would be a royal pain to have to catch them one by one, even at night they fly away. maybe I should practice now though so they can be had at Thanksgiving...

Sounds like you're going to have to lure them in with feed and net them or sweep the legs with a coat hanger hook! That's why I clip wings, so there is no roosting higher than I can reach!
lol.png

Oh this is a GREAT idea! I have 2 so identical I can't tell them apart and I know one is slightly older. I'd like to see who lays first.

Not to mention as soon as the new coop gets built this fall I will probably get more! LOL

I used zip ties when the some of the birds were chicks but checked them a lot since the chicks grow so fast. I put the bands on them when they were about 3 months old. The band were loose and a couple of the birds did manage to get them off but not at the same time so I just put the bands back on. Now I buy leg bands. The birds grow so fast I just order the adult size of what ever breed I want to band. Also when banding using the same colors of bands I put one on the right leg on one bird and one on the left leg of another bird. I have also put a different color on both legs of a bird. I use Kuhl colored plastic spiral leg bands. I have read of some one using nail polish on the bird’s toenails. Here is where I get my leg bands.

http://shilala.homestead.com/tags.html
"The Easy Chicken Poultry and Supply"

Kelly Chewning
1602 Salem Road
DuBois, PA 15801
(814)-583-5374
Email: [email protected]

Also, I have some friends who get there bands from Cutler’s Pheasant and Poultry Supply
http://www.cutlersupply.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6&zenid=mmlpici05da0e2diif7vqg1te1

Guideline Chart for Bird Leg Band Sizes
No. Band Size Physical Size Fits
2 1/8" Canaries, day old Quail
3 5/32" Parakeet, 1-4 week old Quail, Doves, Cockatiels, Guinea keets
4 1/4" Baby Chicken, Coturnix Quail, small Pigeon, adult Bobwhite Quail
5 5/16" Pheasant hen, Tumblers, medium Pigeon, Homers, Wood Duck
6 3/8" Pheasant cocks, month old Chickens, large Pigeons, Chukar Partridge
7 7/16" Ringneck Pheasants, Mallards, Wild Ducks, Bantams, Feather Leg and Runt Pigeons
9 9/16" Wild Ducks, Pheasants, Leghorn hens, Ancona, Silkie, Gamebirds
10 5/8" Wild Turkey, Minorcas, Cross breeds, adult Guineas
11 11/16" Rock hens, Wyandottes, Rhode Island Red hens, Leghorn cocks, medium Ducks: Runners, Swedish, Harlequin
12 3/4" Wild Geese, Rocks, Turkey hens, Geese, Jersey Giants, Orpingtons, larger Ducks: Pekins, Rouens, Muscovy
14 7/8" Canada Geese, Turkeys, Honkers, Jersey Giant Cocks

Last edited:
Quote:
Bee, I've embarrassed myself plenty of times trying to catch chickens for other people with the coat hanger hook-ey thing. I need instructions for that too!! I never want to yank too hard because i'm afraid I'll break their little leg...
sad.png

Well, one shouldn't exactly "yank" on it!
lol.png
It will just slip off this way. The bend in the hanger has to fit the birds leg diameter somewhat and also kind of bend away at the tip...almost in the shape of an old-fashioned bobby pin. You just snake it into a cornered flock and snag a leg, lift quickly but gently into the air until the hen is standing on one leg. She may fall and flap, but the leg is still suspended and she can't get her balance. This takes a little practice and finesse and isn't 100% effective. My granny could hook 'em quick....I can do about 4 out of 5 until they get too worked up, then they are a little too scared and will fight the hook more.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom