Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

Why is that?
Even the granular is pretty dusty.
The powder works faster and better in my experience. I used powder in horse stalls under the bedding and it was instant as soon as you sprinkled it on the wet spots. I have used the granular in my pigeon coop and in my basement with my stinky cats (5 cats, 7 litter boxes) and it works but not amazingly well.

The powder works faster and better in my experience. I used powder in horse stalls under the bedding and it was instant as soon as you sprinkled it on the wet spots. I have used the granular in my pigeon coop and in my basement with my stinky cats (5 cats, 7 litter boxes) and it works but not amazingly well.
I agree with Kusanar. The powder works faster and soaks up the wet poop immediately. I clean the poop board in my coop once a week but have never noticed an ammonia odor and the humidity stays at a very low, safe level. I tried the granular when I first built my poop board and just wasn't thrilled with the results. I only have two dozen hens and one rooster so the dust really isn't an issue in their coop.

Ok, so my first coop was done without poop boards-I simply loaded up the floor with sand figuring that would be easy enough to sift the poop out of. Well, the plan sounded good in theory but I found it didn't work so good in reality. Don't get me wrong, the poop scoops out of the sand BUT- the sand SMELLS even after the poop is gone. Also, it is a dusty mess while scooping and I need to take frequent breaks just to breath fresh air. Still better though than changing out shavings weekly (I don't like DLM).

So when we built our 2nd coop we decided to try poop boards
love.gif
WOW, what a difference. We built a waist high shelf and then added a lip all around and filled it with Sweet PDZ, LOVE IT!!!! I simply sift the poop up every day or two but you certainly can leave it longer if you had to. The Sweet PDZ keeps it from smelling at all. And the best part- NO DUST when scooping. It's almost like sifting flour. It is very zen like to clean and I tend to get carried away and make designs for my girls ( I know, I have issues
tongue2.gif
)

Anyway, thought I would share my experience and of course some pics
big_smile.png

Nice coop overall. The boards are absolutely the way to go for me as well. I use sand on my poop board. It gets replaced once or twice a year. The only problem I have so far is in winter the sand freeze into a big mass. I have to wait for warmer days to clean. The sand doesn't seem wet, but the wet chicken poop procures enough moisture to cause the sand particles to freeze together. I think I am going to add PDZ finally and see if it helps since it is formulated to absorb moisture.

Nice coop overall. The boards are absolutely the way to go for me as well. I use sand on my poop board. It gets replaced once or twice a year. The only problem I have so far is in winter the sand freeze into a big mass. I have to wait for warmer days to clean. The sand doesn't seem wet, but the wet chicken poop procures enough moisture to cause the sand particles to freeze together. I think I am going to add PDZ finally and see if it helps since it is formulated to absorb moisture.

Easy way to avoid replacing your poop boards:

Put a 1/4" rubber mat over the top, then screw in boards around the edges. Then you won't have the plywood degrade from the moisture (and smell!!!) Easy to cut to size with a box cutter.

Most farm supply stores carry it- generally they keep the rolls out in their yards, so you order it at the counter. It stands up to all kinds of abuse. I use a flat shovel to clean mine. Other advantage to using the rubber mat is there are no grooves- just a flat surface.

RB Rubber 1/4 x 30 in. Rubber Mat Per Foot - Wilco Farm Stores

P1280680.JPG

WOAH. I'm sorry I haven't read the replies and I'm sure the conversation has moved way past it after 188 pages lol, but I just have to say what a great idea with the poop boards!! I definitely may have to steal this idea!

WOAH. I'm sorry I haven't read the replies and I'm sure the conversation has moved way past it after 188 pages lol, but I just have to say what a great idea with the poop boards!! I definitely may have to steal this idea!

Most definitely. Gives the coop floor bedding a much longer life and keeps the bending and scooping down to a minimum.

Back
Top Bottom