Frizzle feather problems

Oct 31, 2017
When I first got my frizzled silkie polish mix she was beautiful. After about a year she looks awful. Her wing feathers are just pins and she's lost a lot of her other feathers, she's not bald but she's lost her volume. I know she's not a frazzle as the breeder was very knowledgeable about that and gives very strong warnings about not breeding two frizzles together. I keep waiting for her to molt but she hasn't yet. Is there anything I can do for her to insure better feather quality after she finally molts? Or anything I can do now for her?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211110-091829_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211110-091829_Gallery.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot_20211110-091821_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211110-091821_Gallery.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20211110_091208.jpg
    20211110_091208.jpg
    563.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 20211110_091156.jpg
    20211110_091156.jpg
    581.3 KB · Views: 22
I had the same thing happen with some of my frizzles. I didn’t think they would ever grow feathers back. It was awful. Their wings were like weapons they were so pointy and sharp. It took a long time but they are back to normal.

I've found that frizzles tend to molt a lot harder and take a lot longer. My girl was like that for a long time too.
This is my first frizzle so I haven't had her long enough to know her molt cycles yet. From what everyone is saying Definitely sounds like they can take a long long time. Is there anything I can give her to help with feather condition? or is she just doomed to look awful most of the year lol

I agree with the others, likely having a long hard molt. If it were me, I might try a feather fixer feed, or grub feed. I currently feed Scratch and Peck to support my local feed store, but also bought Kalmbach off of Chewy for a couple months. Kalmbach has a Full Plume feathering feed that I highly recommend. Rose, my backyard mix duck was going through a rough molt further influenced by over mating.
I separated the drakes and switched her to Full Plume feathering feed from Kalmbach, (with added nutritional yeast) and she was back to normal with beautiful feathers in about a week. Not sure if it was separating her from the drakes, or if she was almost through her molt anyway, but I do think it helped. Scratch and Peck also has a Grub layer feed which would be beneficial, but layer probably isn't necessary for a molting hen. Hope this helps and your lady is back to her beautiful self soon!

Back
Top Bottom