Chicken Keeping Milestones

sideWing

Songster
6 Years
Apr 9, 2015
Utah
My boys 12 and 9 and I just collected our first eggs this week and it made me realize how many cool milestones there are in chicken keeping. I wanted to list out our completed and future milestones for any new "chicken keeper to be", that might read this.

I would also love to hear about your milestones and about milestones I'm missing in my list.

Milestones completed.

1. Setting up a brooder.
  2. Getting our first chicks.
    ya.gif
  3. Building our first chicken coop.
  4. Building a chicken run.
  5. Keeping the chicks alive and getting them out of the brooder.
    wee.gif
  6. Finding BYC and realizing there are a lot of really cool fowl out there and showing the first signs of "Chicken Math".
  7. Building (or buying) an incubator.
  8. Buying fertile (supposedly) eggs off of Ebay.
    sad.png
  9. Loosing a full batch of shipped eggs.
    rant.gif
  10. Buying local fertile eggs
  11. Hatching our very first chicks!
    celebrate.gif
  12. Showing advanced signs of "Chicken Math".
  13. Owning multiple breeds.
  14. Building a fodder rack and growing fodder.
  15. Buying fertile eggs from a BYC member.
  16. Hatching our first BYC shipped eggs!
    ya.gif
  17. Hearing the first crow.
  18. Selling our first rooster.
  19. Selling our first pullets.
  20. Getting our first eggs!
    woot.gif
  21. Learning what SOP is and deciding to breed towards it.
  22. Raising our own naturally fed and free range meat chickens

Milestones we look forward to:

1. Selling our first eating eggs.
2. Planning spring breeding.
3. Hatching our first eggs from our own stock.
4. Building breeding pens.
5. Creating/Breeding an Olive Egger.
6. Selling chicks.
7. Selling fertile eggs.
8. Broody Hen hatching (thanks GitaBooks)

First eggs!

What am I missing in the list and what are your favorites?

Last edited:
Congrats on the eggs!

Preparing for the chicks is probably one of the most exciting things about getting chickens. You choose which ones you want, and then you have to wait. They are so tiny at first, its so much fun!
Sounds like you guys are doing some awesome stuff! I've not managed to sell any chickens, but I have sold some eggs to friends. I also breed my chickens. One of the most amazing things is getting a broody hen. I've been waiting forever for my hens to go broody and now I have three of them! No matter how many times it happens, it never gets old.

Best of luck on your future projects! I hope they work out amazingly well.
thumbsup.gif

Beauty, our sebright, who is due to hatch in just one day!

Pip, who is broody now. This is a picture of her with her second clutch, four cross breed bantams I call Dalmatians. They are awesome, a mix of OEG bantams, Sebrights, and silkies. These little guys are now parents themselves!

Congrats on the eggs!

Preparing for the chicks is probably one of the most exciting things about getting chickens. You choose which ones you want, and then you have to wait. They are so tiny at first, its so much fun!
Sounds like you guys are doing some awesome stuff! I've not managed to sell any chickens, but I have sold some eggs to friends. I also breed my chickens. One of the most amazing things is getting a broody hen. I've been waiting forever for my hens to go broody and now I have three of them! No matter how many times it happens, it never gets old.

Best of luck on your future projects! I hope they work out amazingly well.
thumbsup.gif

Beauty, our sebright, who is due to hatch in just one day!

I'm adding broody hen hatch to my list! I love seabrights. I don't have any, but I would like to. How are they with egg production? Are they white or brown eggs?

My Sebright lays pretty well for a bantam. She lays larger eggs then my Old English Game bantam hen, and they are a very light tan, almost white. She laid one nearly every day until she went broody.

This morning I checked on them and she has at least one hatched chick under her!
celebrate.gif

Sold our first eating eggs!
celebrate.gif
Getting a dozen or more a day now from our RSLs.

We also have 3 of our own eggs in the incubator. Started with 5. Marans over RSL. Hopefully dark egg laying mutts.

Back
Top Bottom