Guinea Roo in a flock of chickens?

loribischof

In the Brooder
Jun 20, 2015
Erie, PA
A farmer friend had recommended that I get a few Guinea Fowl and keep them with my chickens as watchdogs (He knows what a predator problem that I have). I ordered 3 keats and one died. The two remaining have been peacefully co-habitating with my chickens (all hens). I appears I have a male and female guinea. Do I have to worry about the male "harassing" the chickens? or will he just spend time with his one lady love?
wink.png

Thanks

Sorry it took so long to respond.

It really depends on the individual. If there is a rooster around he may be aggressive towards him, or if he becomes bored with only having one hen he may try to breed with them, but they are loyal to their girls and he should be pretty happy with her.

Guineas, geese, and even turkeys all make good "watch-dogs".

Best of luck!

I'm afraid all of your chickens might get terrorized by the guinea. Unless you have around a dozen or so guineas in the flock, they have a tendency to cause havoc in the barnyard. It seems so many people get discouraged when this happens and blame the guinea for poor behavior, but they must realize this occurs because the guinea do not have enough of their own kind to socialize with. My suggestion is to add more to the flock immediately before they get any older. It will be a win-win situation with everybody happy!!

Thanks guys. So far I see no signs of aggression, but I will watch. He is the only male in the run. They have all been raised together since they were day old chicks/Keat and get along well so far. They actually alerted me to a problem this morning. I had three chickens escape the run this morning my guineas let me know!

I got a male guinea who had to be separated because he was a bully to the other male guineas. (I figured I was only going to have one, so he'd be fine.) We ended up getting some chicken, and he and our female guineas didn't even care about the chickens. They were in the same coop, but pretty much ignored the hens. I've read that male guineas will sometimes harass roosters, though.

I just read you last post about the guineas alerting you to the chickens escaping! I love it! Guineas are interesting. :) Good Luck with them!

I have two guineas that are about thirteen weeks old. I hatched them in my incubator...I also hatched chicks with them,and I have had no issues with my guineas and chickens being together... I originally thought my guineas were a male and female,but soon figured out it was two females...they actually are spending much of their time with a barred rock cockerel that we he on our farm...though we will soon be getting some more guineas,because we ware looking to breed them on our farm. I have read that you can keep male guineas with male chickens if they are free ranged,which our flock is. But if you have them confined,then the male guineas will harass the roosters,and prevent them from getting to the food and water.

Back
Top Bottom