Violent breeding.

jaide

Songster
Oct 3, 2014
Iowa
We had only one rooster last year over 6 hens. I know how violent mating can look but I am not prepared for this. We currently have 5 roosters over 25 hens. (Way more of both then I was expecting but you know, chicken math) today I was outside playing with the chickens. My brahma rooster caught a girl and mounted her, gollowed by the next and next. I was trying not to interfere but by my count she was mounted 12 times by all 5 roosters in less then 3 minutes. She buried her head and wasn't moving. So I shooed the boys away and was carrying her around with me for a bit. She seems fine. I put her down and the roosters were immediately at her again. Now every time more then one rooster comes near her at a time she flies away. She flies up to perch on my sons shoulder or head (he doesn't find this nearly as entertaining as I do) or she'll come perch on my shoulder. If I'm sitting shell run over and burg her head in my lap. Is this normal rooster behavior? Is it ok that I interfered? Does it hurt a hen to be mated like that?

Yes it can hurt her to be mated like that. I would get rid of my two least favorite roosters, particularly those that are the most aggressive and violent. 5 to 25 is is little too many males.
How old are they? Cockerels are raging with hormones and mate much more forcefully than mature cocks, so it's possible that the behavior could subside. My rooster barely mates a few times a day, much less multiple times within 3 minutes, and I keep very high fertility with him. This isn't normal behavior, it's basically gang rape. I really think you should separate the males until either you find something to do with the extras or their hormones settle down, or both. One female, especially a young pullet, cannot take being mated that violently that often!

She is about 19 weeks. The Roos are 18-22 weeks. I'm thinking about separating some out. If have to convince the hubs I need another run and coop but it may be worth it. We have already discussed getting rid of a few roosters. We agreed as long as everyone got along they could stay but there's one that's always aggressive and one that seems a little more aggressive than the others when he mates. Those might be the 2 that have to go. One is a male brahma the other is a white leghorn (he's aggressive towards humans too if you get to close)

Thanks for your quick reply though. I've kept her kind of secured from the boys this afternoon hoping they calm down. Everytime they see her they're on her.

She is about 19 weeks. The Roos are 18-22 weeks. I'm thinking about separating some out. If have to convince the hubs I need another run and coop but it may be worth it. We have already discussed getting rid of a few roosters. We agreed as long as everyone got along they could stay but there's one that's always aggressive and one that seems a little more aggressive than the others when he mates. Those might be the 2 that have to go. One is a male brahma the other is a white leghorn (he's aggressive towards humans too if you get to close)

Thanks for your quick reply though. I've kept her kind of secured from the boys this afternoon hoping they calm down. Everytime they see her they're on
I think it will subside with fewer males and age. I do think a second run next to the main one would be a good idea until hormones chill out. Double runs can be a handy addition anyway, for integrating new birds! A nice sized dog house with a makeshift door could probably suit them temporarily, if you don't want to have to make a whole new coop

I would lock up some of those roosters for a couple of months until they calm down, and I do not let roosters mate while I am right there, same as a dominant rooster would not allow it. you could also get rid of 2 or three of those roosters, I always protect my hens, some roosters are good some not so much. And don't remove the hen remove the roosters, or you will make it harder on her with the other hens, Good luck

Last edited:
If any of my roosters acted like that they would either be in the stew pot, or penned. And the rooster that is aggressive to humans defiantly would be the first to go. You don't want those traits to be bred into your chickens.

Back
Top Bottom