Chick advice

iron

In the Brooder
Aug 23, 2015
We are new to raising chickens, we bought 8 hens and a rooster from a friend a couple months back. One hen went broody and we decided to let nature take its course. Fast forward to my issue... our broody lady had 6 eggs the first time we checked, she only left the nest once a day for a few minutes.. in that time other girls must have added eggs to her nest (different colored eggs) in the end she was on 12 eggs. 4 hatched right about the time i figured, we took the remaining 8 and put them in the incubator, since she was no longer sitting on them while taking care of the 4. My issue is.. a week ago Saturday Aug 15th the 4 hatched, Wed Aug 19 one hatched in the incubator...we successfully mixed that one in with the rest with mom. Today August 23, yet another hatched ... i am afraid because of the size difference to put this lil guy in with mom. Do you think I should try, or just keep it seperated? The first one was only 4 days behind and the size wasnt that much different... but now a week and one day later.. the size is double at least, im kind of afraid the new one will just get pushed and trampled.

Any advice is appreciated.

Plus i still have 6 eggs left with no clue when they're 21 days will be up..
I cant keep hatching birds 4 days apart, can i?

Have you candled the eggs, I slip a toilet paper roll over the end of a flashlight and candle with that, do it in a dark area. I don't know if I would keep adding them, depends how mobile she is and if she wants more, some hens will take anything. Next time use a marker to mark the original eggs you set so you can remove any that were layed later so you can avoid what happened. It really depends on the hen and what feels right to you. I personally would start collecting and brooding chicks if the eggs are solid when candled.

Well since writing this my wife introduced the new guy to mom, she was laying down quietly in her pen. Mom lifted a little and let the new guy snuggle in, the other chicks didnt bat an eye... fingers crossed, we'll see tomorrow how things went.

The little bugger has made it so far and seems to have been accepted by everyone just fine.

Back
Top Bottom