Sick hen?

socal chicken

Hatching
Feb 3, 2016
Hello fellow chicken lovers. I am new and have a question about how to recognize sickness in my chickens. I have 6 and their ages range from 9 weeks to 12 weeks old. I started with 3 and then recently added 3 to my flock. One if the new chickens is kind of a loner. She isn't as social and will hang back in the coop when the others are let out. She will also sometimes stay in the nesting box during the day times.
I have been trying to get her to be more social but she resists. The others seem to run her off, but I haven't seen them peck at her.
Another concern is that I have seen some watery poop from another chicken. They are all eating organic grow feed and clean water. I haven't added any medications yet.
Suggestions? Thank U!

Any time you add new birds to a flock there is a risk of coccidiosis. New strains of cocci get brought in that your birds may not be resistant to, and same goes with the new birds being exposed at their new home. So keep some Corid on hand and treat if you see any sign of lethargic birds or diarrhea. Or you can just treat preventatively.

As for the loner bird, is she eating/drinking well, do her droppings look normal? If she tends to be bullied make sure they are not keeping her away from the feeder. Having more then one feeder can help alleviate that problem but keep an eye on her.

****SICK CHICKEN***My friend just contacted me about her golden comet hen. She has had the flock of 5 hens for around 3-4 weeks. She gets 3 eggs a week from them but not sure if this comet has laid any. They get fresh fermented feed and water, calcium and grit, clean shavings as needed. They are temporarily on a back porch with a windbreak of plastic until weather is better. It has ventilation and no dr@ft. She is not pecked on. She holds her head close to her shoulders and her tail droops. Prefers to sit. She does walk slowly. She kind of avoids the group when food is offered, but ate some when put in her separate crate. Her crop feels alright. And she drinks ok. No sneezing or coughing. My friend hasn't seen her poop since she moved her. That's about it. LOL. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to give as much as I know.
Any ideas or advice?? Thanks in advance for my friend and her Comet.
263a.png
1f339.png
1f414.png

Last edited:
Is there odor coming from her vent? (gleet) Look up "egg bound". It's possible she has an egg "stuck". Something else to check into would be "broken egg inside chicken"

Back
Top Bottom