Avocado flowers

lisaleee2

Hatching
Mar 7, 2016
Hi!
I've been reading a lot about avocados for our new chickens (8 weeks old), and can't find anything about the blossoms. I am going to keep them away from the leaves and fruit but can't find anything about the flowers. Our ladies absolutely love them and have had a few fly into their run. I'm just wondering if too many will be harmful. We are planning on letting them free range and the fallen flowers are everywhere. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Lisa

Thoughts?
1f60a.png

Hi lisaleee,

We have the same thing happening with our 2 hens. 12 months old and enjoying the feast of flowers the avocado is shedding.

The can not get enough of the flowers. Havent seen any changes with them but concerned as the leaves, skins and seeds are not good for them.

How are yours going? Have you noticed any changes?

cheers,
EP

Until a few months ago, i had 3 avocado trees in my garden. I never noticed an issue with my flock.

We just got back from a trip to Kauai where the chicken has become pretty much the island bird. Back in 1991, I think, there was a huge storm which picked up the domesticated flocks and flung them far and wide over the island. Fast forward to 2016/17 and the chickens are EVERYWHERE on the island. Anyway, the point being that these birds feast on the fallen avocados of which there are tons, and they seem to be unharmed. Being a very established species on the planet, they are probably smart enough to not overeat and if you are not putting avocado in the diet in great quantity it seems like they should be fine. Mine get some in the compost and they pick at the flesh in the skin and leave the skin behind.

Back
Top Bottom