What breed is my cockerel?

Where did you get him? His coloring is the same a Red sexlink pullets (which are hybrids), it could have had a red sexlink mother or father. Are you sure it is a he?
A very small local feed store. I thought he was a sexlink at first too, but she turned into a he. Yes, I'm positive he is a he. He has large red combs and wattles, and already has curved tail feathers.

I was kind of thinking buff orpington mix, or is that way off?

A very small local feed store. I thought he was a sexlink at first too, but she turned into a he. Yes, I'm positive he is a he. He has large red combs and wattles, and already has curved tail feathers.

I was kind of thinking buff orpington mix, or is that way off?
I guess it could be, I think it has RIR in it though.

It could easily be a second generation sex link (breeding sex link to sex link often gives coloring like this).

It looks like something Red (take your pick there on what, specifically) mixed with something carrying dominant white. Dominant white basically turns black to white. If you look at this bird and picture the white as black, that's a common look you get when you breed black and red birds together.

With the size and shape, my guess would be the dominant white came from a white Rock parent somewhere down the line.

He's going to be very pretty when he matures, the white will offset the red nicely.

Back
Top Bottom